How to: Spice Up Your Relationship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

College relationships can be tough. There are so many factors that can effect it, including busy schedules, stress from school, and making sure you get enough time with your girls. Through the day-to-day hustle and bustle, don’t forget about making time to appreciate your significant other. It can get really old to just sit in your dorm room with your boyfriend night after night, so spice things up a little bit and find new fun ways to get closer!

1.  For a cozy night in, work on your culinary skills by cooking a meal together. Try something simple like making personal pizzas, because then you each get to have what you want. Or, get your favorite type of ice cream and buy a bunch of toppings to make sundaes with.  If you’re really feeling crazy, go to the grocery store and split up. Each spend the same amount of money, but don’t coordinate what to buy. You might end up with a very interesting meal.  Add some board games to the mix, or a good movie, and it will make for a perfect date on a cold, snowy night.

2.  Go for a long walk. As Spring rolls around, the weather should be nice. So, take advantage of one of those days by walking hand-in-hand in the sun. Find a nice trail or something by the water! Enjoy the scenery and just catch up. During the school week everything is so go, go, go it’s hard to stay caught up on everything in each other’s lives. Take the time to simply each one another. Pack a cute little picnic too!

3.  Spend an afternoon at a park. Get out of the stressful environment that the college campus can be, and feel like kids again! Push each other on the swings, go down the slide, and just let go. It can be the perfect escape.

4.  Try something new. Whether it be a new restaurant or just a new dish at your favorite place, it makes things a little more exciting. If you’re really feeling exciting, go to a dance or cooking lesson.

5.  For a date at no cost, (since budgets are always tight in college!) go to a hockey game. The tickets are free for students, and it’s fun to see the other’s competitive spirit. Luckily, sports games are year round, so spend a day at a baseball game in the spring.

(Or check out a UNH Lax Game!)

Despite what you choose to do with your significant other, the most important thing is just spending some time together doing something different and fun. 

Laura Tentas is a Junior Business Marketing major at the University of New Hampshire's Whittemore School of Business and Economics. She is the Vice President of the Marketing and Advertising Club at the Whittemore School and past Vice President of Recruitment for her sorority, Alpha Phi International Fraternity, Eta Alpha Chapter. Laura enjoys snowboarding, bikram yoga and anything to do with the ocean. She hopes to some day write a novel and her favorite TV show is Law and Order SVU.