Red Roses Heart Cookie
Red Roses Heart Cookie
Jocelyn Hsu / Spoon
Wellness

How To Spend Valentines Day As A Single Woman

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

It is nearing valentines day which must mean that love is in the air, right?

Wrong.

For some of us lonely hearts (Hitchcock reference), we are spending the upcoming commercialized holidays without a significant other. THAT IS OKAY.

Sure it seems as though chocolates and flowers and big stuffed teddy bears are everywhere your eyes look- but in a positive light, there are probably more people spending this upcoming valentines day without a significant other than you think.

Think of ways to put this mushy holiday in a newfound perspective-

Spend time with your best friends

go out to dinner! go grab a drink! Go to the movies! buy them chocolate covered strawberries! Hand out cheesy store bought valentines to them! Sit in the car and sing at the top of your lungs (May I suggest Lizzo). Valentines day should be known as more than just the lovers holiday – the main purpose of this marketing tactic is for it to be about love, spend it celebrating more than romantic love- focus on platonic love as well.

Get some exercise in

While couples are on romantic dates putting unnecessary calories into their bodies – take the time to sweat out the unhealthy toxins that are causing you to dread the holiday

Treat yourself!

Why waste money on someone else when you can go out and buy yourself something sweet!

Read a Good Book –

If you are feeling down and out about the realm of the real world- maybe escapism is okay for a little while. Pick up one of your favorite romance novels and dive into the love story of two of your favorite characters- no matter how fictional and unrealistic it may be. (remember to come back into terms of reality)

DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES

Text your ex.

Valentine’s Day doesn’t have to be about dating relationships. Celebrating the other loving relationships in your life, especially the one with yourself, is a great way to spend February 14.

I really enjoy Gucci and Harry Styles collectively
This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!