How to Make the Most Out of Thanksgiving Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

With Thanksgiving approaching fast, professors are absolutely bombarding students with final projects and papers to complete before the much-deserved few days off of school. This past week, students haven’t had much else to do besides homework. That’s why it is one hundred percent necessary for everyone struggling now to make the most of their break once it comes along. Everyone deserves the rest and definitely need to take a break before finals come along and the cycle starts all over again.

If you’re anything like me, going home is a luxury. I live a little further away from campus than most, so I don’t typically like to go home for long weekends; it usually tends to be more of an effort than I am inclined to make for such a short period of time. So, since I haven’t been home since August, I have been as eager as can be to go home and not only make my rounds through my favorite spots at home, but relax!

Tip #1: Definitely make a point to see any old friends. Thanksgiving is pretty much the first break of the year where you can guarantee about 95% of your best friends from high school to be home (maybe excluding some who went way too far away to school to come home). As much as I’m sure everyone is excited to see family and siblings and pets, some of my best friends I have only talked to on the phone since the summer. Not good enough! At least my family has come to visit me, but with all the craziness that going away to college brings, it feels like it has been forever since I have seen my friends. And this break, it is an absolute priority to make sure I see them as much as possible and pull some of our old shenanigans.

Tip #2: FOOD. Someone once said you never know what you have until it’s gone. And for me, I have found that to be most accurate concerning college and food. Never have I craved my mother’s cooking or my favorite restaurant’s food so much. I promise you, the only way to honor a holiday break about food is with food itself. Go everywhere you used to go all the time and order your favorite meals; even if you haven’t been craving, I can assure it will satisfy you either way.

Tip #3: Take time to relax at home. Despite all the craziness associated with the holidays, definitely make a point to savor up your time at home. Sleep in your own bed, hangout on your couch and watch movies with your family. Home cleanses the mind like nowhere else and, if we all need to prepare our mental state for finals, it’s pretty impertinent that we take the time to do so. 

Julia is currently a junior at the University of New Hampshire and joined the Her Campus team in the spring of 2019.
This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!