Wellness > Mental Health

How I Broke Up With My Phone

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

Based on the title, I bet you can tell where this is going. Many of us today are entirely consumed by our phones and social media. While it can be a source of useful information and meaningful connection, it can also be a contributing factor to declining mental health. With such a busy schedule last semester, I found myself not having much free time, but when I did it was usually spent on my phone as a source of distraction. I hit a point where I decided I didn’t like the way I was spending my free time. Through a few helpful tools and discovering new hobbies, I have been able to take control of my life and intentionally decide how to live it.

The Wake up

A couple of months ago I came across an Instagram story from social media influencer, Summer McKeen, talking about the book How to Break Up With Your Phone by Catherine Price. She read excerpts from the book talking about how ‘us’ as the users of social media are the products that companies like Meta are buying. As I thought about it, I realized that the more time I spend on social media, the more money those companies make and the less time I have. It’s really a lose-lose situation most of the time. And before anyone stops me, yes I do realize that I too was “influenced” into buying this book, but I felt it would change my life for the better, so I went ahead and got it.

the book

Now might I say this book and the process it takes you through is not for the weak. Get ready to delete apps, turn off notifications and even go a few 24-hour periods without technology. Deciding to embark on this journey will be one of the best things you can do for your mental health. While some of the digital adjustments I mentioned may sound restrictive, once you make them you may find them rather freeing. I am no longer a slave to Snapchat notifications, likes on Instagram or the little red number next to my email. Instead, I intentionally take the time to go through emails when I feel like it and open Snapchat when I want to instead of when it’s telling me to. It all starts with little things like not leaving your phone on the table during meals and staying off your phone for an hour after you wake up. I don’t want to give away all of the secrets in this book, but I do highly encourage you to take it upon yourself and read it!

newfound free-time

Once I figured out how to knock down my digital boundaries and clear up my life, I found myself with a lot of free time. With my newfound self-direction and space for creativity, I started to try new things and rekindle the hobbies I had before social media consumed my life. For me, I enjoy reading, cooking and exercising, so that’s a lot of what I do now. I am currently halfway through The Hunger Games series by Suzanne Collins and I am loving it! I also like to read self-help books to continue to inspire me to make positive changes in my life; I’ve just started and am liking The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle. I have also taken to journaling to get out my thoughts instead of pushing them away aimlessly scrolling. Over break, I tried new recipes and pushed my baking boundaries and I made the time to go on walks with my mom and my dog.

Progress not Perfection

As you’re reading this, I want to say that no one is perfect, and I still use my phone to text and call friends and family. I also still enjoy sending funny TikToks to my friends. I’m not saying that you need to completely cut your phone out of your life, go cold turkey and buy a flip phone. The whole point is to be more intentional with your time; go on TikTok because you actively want to, not because there’s nothing better to do, because then you get stuck on the app for hours. My mantra for this is to focus on progress, not perfection. Throughout this journey, I have learned that half the battle is being able to become comfortable with boredom and your inner thoughts. While this may seem scary for some, once you cross that bridge you can start to live a happy and positive life on your terms. If you’re just at all curious about what life would be like without being glued to your phone, consider investing in How to Break Up With Your Phone by Catherine Price. You won’t regret it!

Hannah is a Business Administration major, with a marketing concentration. She loves staying active, baking, and Gilmore Girls.