How To: Find The Perfect Commencement Dress

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

With just about a month and a half left of spring semester, its time for all the senior ladies to start shopping for the perfect outfit for a pretty important moment: graduation day. Although you are required to wear that obnoxiously large, ill-fitting gown, nothing says you can’t look great underneath! There are certain styles you shouldn’t wear on your graduation day (that tight, short revealing dress you wore the other weekend at the bar/cub), but the following are a few great places to find a trendy and classy dress that’s conservative enough to wear while receiving that coveted college diploma!

J. Crew Outlet

The jcrew brand itself is very classic and traditional with a variety of color schemes. This spring they have a few pleated, lace, and blouson styles that are graduation appropriate that have pops of color, polka dots, and ruffles.

Ann Taylor Loft

Although many of your mothers may shop there, they have a great dress selection from casual, to business, to special occasion for affordable prices. You can find fun summer prints, colorblock, or solids in many styles.

Lilly Pulitzer

Lilly Pulitzer is the go store if you are looking for a conservative yet colorful elegant dress. A lot of the styles and prints are roughly the same idea but you have tons of dresses to chose from with a ride range of fabrics. The dresses are preppy and pretty!

Marshalls/TJ Maxx

Don’t underestimate discounted brand stores because they have some great deals there with luxury name brands. You can have a lucky shopping day there or a total blowout. Either way they are getting shipments of new styles and pieces daily so there isn’t a doubt in my mind you could purchase a high quality dress below your budget.

Department Stores

Big retail stores continuously have sales and with the wide range of dress collections at department stores such as Macy’s, Lord & Taylor, Nordstroms, and Bloomingdales, you are bound to try on many dresses in the dressing room until you find the perfect fit!