victorious christmas?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
victorious christmas?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Nickolodeon / Netflix
Life > Experiences

How Did You Find Out Santa Wasn’t Real?

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

Amidst the rising tension of approaching finals, the library echoes with the shuffle of countless students seeking knowledge in their textbooks after not going to class all semester. I hope this article brings a laugh to your world of study guides and flash cards. 

Disclaimer: If you are under the age of 10 and you have somehow come across this article, SANTA IS REAL!

Lily:

“4th grade. Sophia Wasserman. I will never forget! She straight up told me one day in class ‘You know Santa isn’t real right? My parents told me.’ I did not cry, I tried to play it off cool.” 

Carley:

“Well I found out the Easter Bunny wasn’t real first because I found the jelly beans used in the Jelly Bean Trail from the Easter Bunny hiding in the back of my snack cabinet in my house, and then I confronted my mom, and then she told me Santa wasn’t real because I knew about the Easter Bunny.”

Abby:

“Me and Aiden, my brother, found Santa’s wrapping paper in the attic while looking for evidence to prove the theory. I was 8 I think.”

Addie:

“I asked my Mom if Santa was real like six times and she felt bad lying to me so she just ended up telling me. Nothing exciting.”

Taylor:

“After my mom told me not to, I opened the bathroom in my playroom, and it was full of gifts. I was like 7 or 8. Then, in 5th grade, the priest at **** **** told us Santa wasn’t real.”

Caroline:

“I just remember a girl that didn’t celebrate Christmas told me that my Elf on the Shelf and Santa weren’t real because Santa didn’t visit her and she didn’t have an Elf on the Shelf. Led me to an existential crisis. Remember you thought Santa was real for so long?”

Emma:

“Mine is so traumatizing. I told my Mom I didn’t believe in the Tooth Fairy anymore but I still fully believed in Santa, and then my brother walked in mid-conversation, and he said ‘Tell her about Santa too while you’re at it’ and I burst into tears. Honestly, it haunts me every year around Christmas time. I think I was 8, maybe 9. I believed for too long, to be honest. 

Kate:

“Mine isn’t funny, I was legit sitting at lunch in 7th GRADE (yes I was a believer for way too long). And then one of my friends mentioned that Santa wasn’t real and that our parents do all the work and then like it finally clicked for me that he wasn’t real. I didn’t cry because it was in the middle of lunch; I probably would have otherwise.”

Connor: 

“I have to think about it to get the full story right…But it went something like me telling ** that Santa wasn’t real to gauge her reaction and trick her into agreeing with me. She said ‘Why did she tell you the truth about Santa?’ or something like that. I think I was like 7 or 8.”

Me:

I had to tell Connor’s story before mine because it is part of my own. Connor is my cousin, and ** is our aunt. Now, over the years Connor’s story has gone around the family and definitely caused a riff. His mother was very angry at ** for telling him, as one might be. While ** was over at my house sitting in the kitchen with my mother, she explained her side of the story. Unfortunately, I was within earshot and heard the whole story from start to finish. I immediately burst into tears. 

When I was younger, I was dying to know if Santa was real or not, so I created a plan. When I got older, I was going to move away, have a kid, and not tell my parents. I was going to wait until Christmas and see if Santa came for my child. I guess hearing the truth from ** saved me from a lot of trouble.

Jade is a sophomore at the University of New Hampshire.