How to: Avoid the Common Cold

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

The leaves are blossoming with beautiful new colors, while the brisk air has developed a hint of bitterness. . . there’s no doubt that fall has arrived. Fall is a season that has so many fun things to offer: apple picking, sporting events, Halloween, Thanksgiving, the list goes on and on! Participating in these activities along with maintaining academics and/or a job makes the first semester back seem pretty overwhelming. With so many things on your plate, the last thing you need to deal with is a bothersome cold or an uncomfortable sore throat. Unfortunately, fall is also a season of sickness, and you want to do everything possible to prevent this! Luckily, there are a few simple things you can do to help with not only treating your symptoms, but also avoiding getting sick altogether.

Drink Up that H2O!
One of the most crucial factors in staying healthy is staying hydrated. Continuously drinking fluids helps to flush the body of any kind of virus you may be vulnerable to. Although water is the best type of fluid you can drink, hot teas, and juices are also beneficial. I find that drinking some hot water with lemon and honey is the best way to soothe a sore throat. When the weather starts getting colder, drinking hot beverages is important for helping the body maintain homeostasis and stay warm. If you are already sick, being cold (such as getting the shivers) can cause an even stuffier nose, so bundle up! It is also advisable to pump the soups! In many studies, chicken soup has been shown to act as a decongestant, which will help to further drain your system of any unwanted mucous.  A good type for staying hydrated is to keep a water bottle with you at all times; if you have this physical reminder you are more likely to keep drinking. So remember, the key is to drink, drink, drink!

Eat Your Veggies!
Although not an obvious fact, eating vegetables is a very important method in avoiding sickness. Fruits and vegetables are packed with nutrients—they are one of the best natural sources of vitamins and minerals! In particular, vegetables such as broccoli and spinach, and fruits such as oranges have antioxidants that help to fight off viruses.

Make it Spicy!
 If you have already been burdened by the hassle of a cold, spicy foods are your ticket out. Although spicy foods don’t aid in preventing sickness, it has been proven that they help to reduce the length of time a cold lasts, as well as how congested you may get. Many of the spices used in Thai, Indian and Mexican cuisine act as decongestants and increase circulation in the body. So, if you’re a fan of anything spicy, EAT UP!

(Let’s make it hot hot hot!) 

Get Some Rest!
It is no secret that staying rested is one of the best ways to avoid getting sick. If you are tired, your system becomes weaker, and is thus more receptive to passing viruses. Your body needs time to relax and absorb the nutrients you have consumed throughout the day. A lack of sleep will decrease your immunity, making it easier to come down with symptoms that your body would otherwise be able to fight off.  Getting at least seven hours of sleep is your best bet in staying healthy.

Fall is a busy time for everyone. Now that everyone is back in the full gear of college life, it can get easy to lose track of simple ways to take care of yourself. You will be able to enjoy this season for all its worth if you’ve got a stuffy-free nose and a positive state of mind! Keep these simple tips in mind and your chances of getting sick will decrease tremendously. 

New Jersey native, Stephanie, is a junior in the Whittemore School of Business and Economics at the University of New Hampshire. She is majoring in Business Administration with a dual concentration in Marketing and International Business & Economics. She loves the city and lived there last summer while interning for Ann Taylor. Stephanie loves sushi and Starbucks lattes. She is also a proud member of Alpha Phi and currently serves as the Treasurer on the Panhellenic Council.