Healthy Hummus Recipe

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

If there’s one snack you can never go wrong with and it’s hummus! So tasty and so refreshing but some of the popular store-bought brands are ridden with unknown chemicals and ingredients that are totally unnecessary! Here’s my own personal recipe that’s quick and simple and super inexpensive especially if you’re making a big batch to bring to a party!

Ingredients:
2 cans of low-sodium garbanzo beans (chickpeas)
1/2 cup sesame tahini (find it in the healthy section/international section of your grocery store)
The juice of 3 fresh lemons
2 cloves of fresh garlic
1/4 cup of water

Tools you’ll need:
A food processor
A colander
A rubber spatula
A cutting board
A sharp knife
A container to store your delicious treat!

Step-by-step instructions:
1. Rinse your garbanzo beans in colander.
2. Put your rinsed garbanzos in the food processor.
3. Pulse the food processor until the garbanzos are chopped and pour in the lemon juice and water.
4. Chop the garlic VERY FINELY. This is super important because no one likes to bite into a huge chunk of garlic. I usually wear gloves for this because I hate how my hands smell after chopping smelly garlic.
5. Put the garlic in the food processor and pulse until desired thickness.
NOTE: If you want your hummus to be thinner than I make it (I like mine thick) than feel free to add as much water as desired!
6. ENJOY!

Leah Tully is currently studying nutrition, wellness, and writing at the University of New Hampshire.
New Jersey native, Stephanie, is a junior in the Whittemore School of Business and Economics at the University of New Hampshire. She is majoring in Business Administration with a dual concentration in Marketing and International Business & Economics. She loves the city and lived there last summer while interning for Ann Taylor. Stephanie loves sushi and Starbucks lattes. She is also a proud member of Alpha Phi and currently serves as the Treasurer on the Panhellenic Council.