HC UNH Abroad: Christine Vecchiolla

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

Christine picked the perfect place to study abroad if you are looking for historical culture, great food and wine that is cheaper than water- ITALY! Read up about her amazing last few months and what she will take away most from her time abroad.

Where are you studying abroad? Florence, Italy

Why did you choose to study abroad there? I always knew I wanted to study in Italy because of the culture and the amazing food. I also loved the fact that Florence was a smaller city in comparison to Rome and I felt that I could become more familiar with it during the four months that I would be living here.

What was the hardest part about leaving?

Well I know I should probably say the typical answers like, I will miss my family and friends from home, maybe even my big comfortable bed, but to be honest the hardest things to leave had to be American bagels and my dog. They just don’t do bagels right here in Italy.

How did you adjust to life over there?

I am doing surprisingly well adjusting to life over here.  I mean don’t get me wrong-I was glued to my little map for the first few days (well weeks actually), but once I got my bearings I became much more comfortable.  As far as my living situation I was lucky enough to live with 5 of my sorority sisters so it was a super easy transition.

What are some slang terms they use over there? What is the equivalent to American slang?

Their slang terms basically consist of using the same word for a million different meanings.  Like “prego” is translated to “your welcome,” but I swear Italians use it in every other sentence and I haven’t quite figured it out.  Now I just throw it into conversation here and there so I fit in.  Prego! They also use the word Allora in between everything they say, this word basically translates to Americans saying umm in between a sentence. Literally all we do is say Allora in an Italian accent; our teachers love it, the locals …not so much.

What has been the most exciting thing about Europe so far?

I think the most exciting thing was being able to travel to so many different countries and meeting new people! Being in Europe has truly forced me to grow up a bit, but it has also given me the greatest four months of my life. I have learned so many new things from so many different people whether it’s the guy making my cappuccino, the gypsies begging for money or the little old man who plays the violin on my street, they have all taught me more than I could have ever imagined.

What are you most excited to do in the next few month- any trips planned?

I cannot wait for this upcoming weekend! My entire apartment and many more students are traveling to the beautiful Amalfi Coast.  From what I have heard this area has some of the best seafood and most scenic views in the world.  I cannot wait to spend one of my last weekends in Europe surrounded by my closest friends in such an incredible place.  It is my last trip that I am taking here so I’m excited to be able to go somewhere warm and to just relax on the beach!

What is a common stereo-type of Americans over in Italy? Are they in any way true?

One huge thing that I have noticed is that Italians refuse to wear shorts or dresses without tights or leggings. I swear there have been like five days where it’s 75 and sunny and they are bundled up in their scarves, jackets and boots acting like they have just been hit with a blizzard. Then here I am outside feeling foolish in my sundress and flip-flops on my way to class just because the weather is in the 70’s. I still don’t quite understand that, but I’ll just take the Italian dirty looks with stride. Also they think that all Americans students are wild and crazy and drink too much wine, I mean they’re not all wrong about this, it is true wine is cheaper than water… so I mean why not!

What are you going to miss most when this is all over?

Well this one is easy.  I am most definitely going to miss the incredible, fresh, delicious food over here! I thought that growing up in an Italian household had already shown me the best food in the world, but I have to admit Florence takes the cake (sorry mom)!

Do you think studying abroad has changed you in any way? Is it something you recommend all students do?

Studying abroad has made me much more independent.  You truly need to be brave and take chances when you are abroad and the outcome is better then you could ever expect. I 100% recommend you study abroad–seriously this will be the best decision of your life! And not to be bias, but I hear Florence is the best place to study!

UNH '15
UNH Her Campus Editor in Cheif Member since 2012Junior Chi Omega SisterHelath Management and Policy Major with a Minor in Sociology Originally from Orono, ME. Lover of Fashion, Fall, and Food