Guide to the Worst Thing Ever: Class Presentations

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

Those people who know me probably wouldn’t guess that I have a problem with presentations. After all, I’m outgoing and LOVE when I have a good story to tell. If the professor just wanted me to tell stories about how I thought I was a cat for two (possibly three) years, I would be able to effortlessly lead a class discussion. Unfortunately, this has never happened…presentations tend to be strictly academic. Dammit. There’s something about getting up in front of the class with a judgey professor and a bunch of students who are only half paying attention that makes my stomach turn. If you’re like me, and forget how to function the second your professor calls you up, don’t lose hope. I’ve picked out a few of my own issues with presenting that I know we can fix.

1. Sweating.

If you’re like me, you sweat when you get nervous. Armpit sweat is a life-ruiner. There is nothing worse than knowingly standing in front of a group of people with pit stains. Not only do you feel like a hobo, but you also have to seriously restrict your range of motion when talking with your hands. Sweat also isn’t only restricted to the armpits, as anyone who’s ever been in Horton 4 can attest to. To prevent this problem, ALWAYS wear a loose fitting shirt. Unless dressing up is a requirement, I always wear athletic clothing when I present (although that’s all I wear anyways). If you feel comfortable physically, it’s bound to translate to mentally. Gray shirts are a death wish- never do this to yourself. If gray is the only color that looks good with the color of your pants, change your pants. It’s not worth it. Also wear deodorant (you classmates will thank you).

2. Forgetting to breathe.

Am I the only one who does this? I’m rushing through my presentation, talking way too fast for anyone to understand me, and all of a sudden I realize I haven’t taken a break in over a minute. This is followed by trying to take short breaths while still talking and almost passing out in front of the class. In order to avoid having an asthma attack mid-presentation, it’s important to steady your breathing before you start talking. Pretend to be shuffling around your index cards (that you’re about to stare at the entire time) and get a good rhythm going. Focus on saying your first line at a normal human speaking rate, and the rest should follow along smoothly.

3. Saying “um”

I don’t know what it is about presentations, but they make “um” my favorite word. I just can’t get enough. Topic transition- “um.” I forget what I wanted to say next- “um.” I end a sentence- “um.” I blink- “um.” I know others struggle with this too, because I’ve sat through a presentation and made a tally mark of every time the speaker said “um” (I’m sorry I’m a jerk). Point is, it’s an epidemic and we need a cure. This one takes a very conscious effort to fix, but it can be done. Instead of umming, just take a pause. A moment of silence sounds a lot better than an “um” moment. Or, you could replace it with “so.” It seems too simple, but “so” will make your speaking flow better and is more likely to go under the radar. Don’t make me tally your “um’s.”

4. Shaky voice

Did I just see a ghost? Why do I sound like Freddy Kreuger is in the room?? It’s just a presentation. Right??? This problem is one of the hardest to fix. I mean, I’m always prepared; but my voice just never wants to remain calm. And picturing the class in their underwear never actually helps. I just end up wondering what kind of underwear everyone in the class would wear and the rest of the semester is weird. Anyways, having a shaky voice is a result of nerves gone wild. Code red- you need a confidence boost. Ask a friend for a pep talk, this will bring you back down to earth and realize that it isn’t THAT big of a deal. Everyone else in your class has to do it, and they are all probably nervous too. If no friends are around, you’re going to have to put your own mind at ease. Listen to a soothing song on your walk to class and reassure yourself that you can do it. It will be over before you know it.

5. Your confidence cannot be boosted

Prepare, prepare, prepare. Did I say prepare? Prepare. “Just Do It” –Nike. Make sure you completely understand the material, in case the professor tries to blind-side you with a question. Make note cards so you can keep yourself on track. PRACTICE. Don’t think that you can get up there and wing it, because you’ll repeat yourself five times or have no idea what words to use to explain your ideas. It’s best to practice in front of other people, but there’s also no shame in talking to yourself in your room alone. It’s better to have your roommates think you’re a crazy lady than to have an anxiety attack in front of your class. Trust me. The great thing about being prepared is that it can help ease problems 1-5. Just remember, each presentation is a new chance to show your prof what you can do. If you totally mess one up, use it as a learning experience and get ready to crush the next one.