A Girl’s Guide to Hiking: 8 Reminders for your Next Hike

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

A Girl’s Guide to Hiking: Here’s 8 Reminders for your Next Hike

Ever feel like you’re missing adventure? Do you maybe want to be a bit more exploratory? Well here’s the solution: hike. It may seem daunting; hiking a 4,000-foot mountain is no easy task, but it has its perks. You can get significant exercise by walking, you have killer views and there’s no better way to satisfy that nagging need for an adventure. Here are 8 things you should remember to make your next hiking adventure just the fix you need:

1. Get Prepared!

No matter what type of hike you plan on doing: a 4,000 foot mountain in the middle of the wilderness or a quick hike with a picnic at the top, you need to prepare. Get all your gear set up, make your lunch, get directions and get pumped!

2. Pack some good grub!

2

One of the best parts of hiking: food. Nothing is better than eating your face full of food at the top of a mountain. Always remember to bring something super sweet for those sugar cravings at 2,000 feet. Eat-up! You’ll deserve it.

3. Layer-up!

Hiking is all about getting out onto the trail, but let’s be honest: it doesn’t hurt to look fierce while you’re doing it. Layer everything! Tee-shirts, flannels, North Face jackets, Patagonia hats and whatever else you may need should a strong wind blow your way.

4. Wear the right shoes!

3 

Arguably, one of the most important tips. Wear good shoes. Speaking from experience, no one wants to have bloody blisters with so many miles left on the trip. Wear good shoes to protect your feet!

5. Get a buddy!

4

All that talk that hiking can provide some solitude: total lies. It can provide solitude, but also loneliness and confusion if you get lost. Always bring a buddy. Not only does it make you feel safer but what’s a better way to bond than being stuck on a trail with a friend?

6. Capture the Moments!

Picture this: you’re surrounded by so much nature, sunshine, green leaves and mountain ranges as far as your eyes can see. It’s always a good idea to take it all in, but don’t forget how instagrammable hiking pictures can be! You don’t even have to be a good photographer just snap a shot and the nature makes the picture good for you.

7. Drink up!

5

Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate! Water is air when you’re on a hike. Pack as many water bottles as your back will carry and drink more than you think you need. Glam up your water bottle with stickers and chug.

8. Be PROUD!

6

Don’t undermine your adventure. You are strong! No matter what the size, it takes umpf to hike up and down a mountain. Brag about it and gain a bit of confidence.

Hiking is no easy task. If you’re an outdoorsy girl with a wild side, go for it. Hike whatever you want! Get yourself pumped for the trek, get a friend and just do it. Be fearless. It can be a lot of fun! You may want to nap after but you’ll do so feeling justified that you just worked your ass off.

This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!