Girl Code: UNH Style

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

The recent show on MTV has been a hit. It is relatable to all girls and overwhelmingly true. It’s one of those things where your say “oh, so I’m not the only one.” I find it very funny and entertaining and decided to take it upon myself and make a girl code for our very own, UNH. There are some obvious do’s and don’ts to our great university. As the cast of Girl Code says, you can’t learn a lesson without living it…but you can try and gain some perspective if you continue reading. 

Creeping

Don’t lie, we all try and get the best seats at HoCo where we know we will be able to people watch and creep on everyone. If you’re going to creep, don’t ever eye make contact…ever. Be casual and not creepy. It is okay to creep in the dining hall, library or wherever you are, just make sure you look like your actually doing something. Don’t be those awkward girls sitting at the table not saying anything because you are too busy seeing what everyone else is doing (although I know we have all been guilty of that once and a while).

The Dining Hall

The dining hall is such a controversial issue. Your scared someone is going to judge you for what your eating… or not eating. If you would eat a piece of pizza late-night weekend at Dhop, then why not do it in the dining hall. Also, don’t stop dead in the middle of rush hour in HoCo or Philly that just jams up everyone.

Roommates

Respect for your roommates is the key to success. It is a lot easier said than done, though. Some general rules to live by for now and possibly the rest of your life when it comes to roommates are as follows:

– Don’t eat their food, just don’t do it. (Same goes for booze)

-Attempt to be clean.

-Don’t have sex in their bed and/or let someone else have sex in their bed.

-Talk out your issues; girls will be girls don’t let it get the best of us.

-If you borrow your roommate’s clothes, and neglect to tell them, put them back exactly where and how you found them.

-Surprise gifts are always nice (Who doesn’t love a bottle of wine and a redbox on a Wednesday night?)

The Ex Boyfriend (and your best friends ex-boyfriend)

Ex-Boyfriends are no good. If he is your Ex, than there is a good reason for it. No use stressing over something that’s already gone. Chances are if you’ve moved on than he has too. Make the most of your college career, UNH is huge and there are plenty of guys here. Don’t be afraid to check out those campus cuties once and a while!

In regards to any relationship your best friend may have had with some guy, he is officially off limits. That’s just the way it works. Unless you want drama then know your boundaries.

Drunk Texting

The number one rule for drunk texting is just don’t. Don’t text your ex, your parents, your crush or your enemy. No one likes reading their text messages the morning after. You wake up hung-over and dreading what is in your inbox. Chances are, whatever you were going to say while you were drunk you wouldn’t say while your sober. This obviously leads to regrets in the morning and then that typical tweet of “who let me drunk text last night” or “I shouldn’t be allowed to have a phone when drinking.” Avoiding this problem can be tricky, because when drinking the word “no” tends to not exist. If you have something really irrational/stupid/funny to say, text it to your best friend, chances are if she is your best friends she has the same type of humor as you and probably will be the only one to actually finds what you have to say to be amusing.

Day drinking, dartying, Young drive…etc

It is that time of year; day drinking is in full effect. It’s obvious that we were all way to anxious about this warm weather and last weekends events proved that to be true. Lets not let day drinking get the best of us. The school year is almost over, and as UNH students we like to go out with a bang. Just remember, classy not trashy! Day drinking can be looked as a sport and you are either really good at it or really bad at it. As they say, it’s not a sprint it’s a marathon. Don’t be black out on Young by 10am! Pace your self and enjoy the day, make sure you leave time to rest up for round two that night.  Don’t forget the mid day drunken trip to the HoCo, it is always necessary.

Bars

There isn’t much to say about the bars except… don’t be that girl.  If you haven’t read our Her Campus interview with the bouncers yet, I advise you do.  Always be a good friend and watch out for your friends. Just remember, dollars drinks are not as cheap as they sound once you’re a few drinks in.

Frats

-Always have a wing-woman; you never want to go in alone. If you do, make sure your friends are waiting at the door for you. Although, the likelihood of that is slim seeing as how your going to a frat, so your friends are probably drunk and lying about the fact that they are waiting up front… Which is why you need a wing-woman.

-NEVER EVER EVER put your butt down on the toilet seat. Frat bathrooms are the worst and notorious for not having toilet paper. Not to point fingers, but Pike and Theta are the worst.

-Establish some sort of “this guy is ugly and I don’t wanna dance with him anymore” code before entering the frat. The whole “I have to pee, be right back” thing is so obvious.

-If you bring a coat (which isn’t a good idea) don’t trust some random guy to keep it in his room. Chances are you wont see it again.

– Have dance floor etiquette. AKA girl on girl grind chains are not cool anymore, especially if you’re the only girls on the dance floor.

-Don’t take drinks from strangers… Obviously.

-Theta Thursdays aren’t real anymore.

Walk of shame

If your gunna do the walk of shame do it right. There’s no avoiding it. Everyone has to do a walk of shame at least once in their college career. The earlier in the morning the walk of shame the better, less people are up to see you.  If he lets you borrow his sweatpants to walk back, take advantage of it! Sometimes it’s helpful to find a buddy. If you see another girl doing the walk of shame why not do it together, it helps if you’re not the only one. Don’t let those obnoxious boys who beep at the walk of shames as they drive by get to you.  (They are just jealous you weren’t leaving their room).  

This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!