Four Months of Clothing in Fifty Pounds

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

If you are spending the spring semester abroad in Europe you have probably already submitted all the tedious paperwork, taken passport photos, attended numerous informational meetings and read just about every brochure.  After the logistics are in order and you receive your acceptance letter the notion of actually preparing for four months away will begin to sink in.  If you are like some true adventurers you may wait until the night before to toss the contents of your closet into your suitcase and slap an airline tag on it.  If you are more of a precise planner and are completely confused about what to include within the precious fifty-pound baggage limit- then listen up. 

With cities like Paris, London, Madrid, and Rome, Europe is appropriate dubbed the fashion continent.  With that said, if you will be traveling throughout both major European cities and the countryside this is also a perfect opportunity to be bold and trendy.  Check out the list below for the perfect combination of everyday essentials, comfort, workout attire and formal wear for any weather and without paying for extra suitcase pounds!

Basics- Unless they are badly battered- bring the same old socks, tank tops and undergarments you have now abroad with you. Pick your favorites and think comfort and color- pack tank tops you can layer with any sweater or blazer. For socks remember to pack both for warmth and workout!

For the Student and the Tourist- The everyday clothing is the most important.  Pack a light and dark pair of jeans, two pairs of leggings, sweaters you can layer, plain t shirts, a pair of yoga pants, a flowy skirt and a pair of shorts.  It may seem easier said than done but remember there will be plenty of shopping outlets in Europe!

Shoes- Europe is littered with cobblestone street so do not pack 5 inch heels, instead go for the heeled bootie which is chic and comfortable to wear out at night.  For morning runs around the Eiffel Tower or wherever you will be- pack one pair of sneakers. Steer clear of rain boots they are clunky and you will be able to make do without them during daytime drizzles. One pair of boots is sufficient- so pick your favorite height and color and pack them! Do not forget a comfortable pair of flats and shower flip-flops.

Nightlife Attire- Europe is known for both laid back pubs and crazy clubbing.  Pack two or three outfits for each that you can fix and match.  Maybe a skirt to wear clubbing in Spain but can also be paired with an oversized sweater and boots to wear in a casual English pub.  Pick five shirts you can wear out and that are neutral colored so you can play them up with accessories! A little black dress is a classic piece that can be dressed up or down. 

Workout Clothes- Bring the basics for working out.  Old t-shirts and sports bras are perfect to bring because at the end of the semester when they are ratty you can toss them!

Accessories- Colorful jewelry, scarves, belts and headbands can complete any outfit.  Pick one or maybe two of each but keep in mind while you’re traveling you may treat yourself to foreign accessories.  Pack two nail polishes for quick do-it-yourself manicures.  Do not forget a backpack for both class and weekend trips.  

Formal Wear- Remember you are actually abroad to take classes or to work so you will probably have to dress up for at least one presentation or event throughout the semester.  Pack one formal outfit!

The key to European fashion is in clothing that is neutral and can be layered.  Plain colored clothing can be completely transformed with a pop of color to make a new outfit.  A helpful suggestion is bring clothes that at the end of your semester you can donate.  That way you can wear that pair of jeans so many times and not be afraid to part with them and create space for souvenirs.  Packed everything and it’s still over the weight limit? Take out one piece of clothing from each category and you’re ready to go!

This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!