This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

Last spring, I had the privilege of spending four months studying abroad in Florence, Italy. As I bundle up in layers of warm clothes while New Hampshire gets colder and colder, I can not help but feel envious of those embarking on their study abroad journeys! Below I will be giving my BEST Florence spot suggestions to those who are now abroad, planning to travel, or are just interested in learning more about what the beautiful city has to offer.

The Gardens: While in Florence, I highly suggest visiting the gardens, especially when the warmer months start to approach and the wisteria bloom. The city seems big and bustling on the streets, but you will form an entirely new perspective on Florence when you enter its gardens. The most well-known are the Boboli and Bardini Gardens, but I would recommend also visiting the lesser-known Rose Gardens which hide right near Piazzale Michaelangelo, are free to enter and create the perfect atmosphere to read, picnic or relax. 

Sunrise & Sunset at Piazzale Michaelangelo: Most study abroad girls are well acquainted with this fantastic tourist spot — you can see the entire city! Many bring pizza, snacks and drinks to enjoy the beautiful sunset. However, I will warn you it gets VERY crowded, so to ensure a good view pick a weeknight and get there early! I also highly recommend waking up early one morning to watch the sunrise from this spot. There are usually only two to three other visitors and it is absolutely stunning. 

The Museums: You can’t go to Florence without experiencing its rich, interesting history and art. I would recommend visiting the Academia Gallery to view the David statue and walking around Uffizi to see the work of Botticelli. Don’t forget the museums not only have their most famous works; make sure to appreciate the various pieces displayed!

Cathedral of Santa Maria del Fiore (the Duomo): This is the no. 1 spot to check out in Florence and it’s pretty hard to miss! I recommend taking the trek up to the top for a fantastic view (I would not advise anyone with vertigo or who is claustrophobic to do this). Now, during the off-season, is the perfect time to go when the city is less crowded.

Biblioteca delle Oblate: This is a suggestion mainly for those studying abroad in Florence and not just visiting, but I wanted everyone to know about my favorite study spot. This library has a cute cafe, outdoor seating and a view of the Duomo! I definitely recommend checking it out.

Food Spots (important to note I’m gluten-free!):

1. Sandwiches: Pinos
  2. Restaurants: Trattoria Zà Zà, Sgrano (get the coccoli), New Bridge
  3. Gelato: La Strega Nocciola & Gelateria dei Neri
  4. Coffee: John Borno Cafe

If you are currently studying abroad make the most out of it! Check out these spots and remember to appreciate the experience. As someone who’s been there, you will face highs and lows, but in the end, I promise you will be so happy that you decided to go!

Kate is a junior occupational therapy student at UNH. She loves books, oat milk lattes, and movie nights!