5 Books To Read in Front of the Fireplace This Winter

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

Are you an avid reader or want to start to get into reading? Trust me, it is not as hard as it may seem to start reading, and I often find myself looking for new books everywhere. I just had to find the right books for me, and once you find the right books for you, you’ll find that reading on a snowy day by the fire can be better than anything.

I will be sharing books that have pulled me out of a reading slump, made me laugh, made me cry and made me never want to put them down. The books on this list are some I consider top-tier reads for a college girl. 

A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas

A Court of Thorns and Roses, a five-book fantasy series, follows a girl named Feyre who is taken from her family by a mysterious man and brought into a world she only dreamed existed. Feyre is tested in this series and has to find herself. This series captivated me this past summer, but it can be read at any time of year.

The Great Alone by Kristin Hannah

One of my favorite books is The Great Alone. This book is about a young girl named Leni whose family moves to the isolated wilderness in Alaska. This book follows Leni’s life as she and her mother try their best to endure life with her abusive father in isolated Alaska. The setting of this book makes it a great winter read.

Before We Were Yours By Lisa Wingate

If mysteries are your thing, Before We Were Yours is an enthralling book. Set in 1939, 12-year-old Rill and her siblings were ripped from their home one night and forced into an orphanage while her father took her mother to the hospital. Rill fights to keep her family together while facing abuse from the owners of this overcrowded orphanage. In the present day, Avery Strafford goes home to care for her father, dives into her family’s history and reveals old secrets meant to be kept hidden forever. I never wanted to put this book down; the story was so captivating.

Reminders of Him by Colleen Hoover

If you’re into romance, one of my favorites is Reminders of Him. A young mother named Kenna spends five years in prison for a tragic mistake. After she gets out, she tries her best to rekindle her relationship with her young daughter. Many things stand in her way, but Kenna must learn to take responsibility for her actions before she can be fully forgiven by the people around her. This book is an emotional roller coaster, but the message is important and heartfelt.

Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens

This book was recently made into a movie, and both are worth checking out. The main character Kya lives in a cabin on the edge of a marsh in North Carolina. Starting with her mother, all of her family members soon left her to fend for herself when she was no older than 10 years old. She is alienated from the people in her hometown and grows up with only the marsh to keep her fed and company. Kya must overcome poverty and her lack of education to make a living for herself in the unforgiving marsh. Where the Crawdads Sing is a beautiful story with an ending that will leave you speechless.  

These books are guaranteed to entertain you and keep you busy on a snow day. With differing genres, you can find one that interests you most. Happy reading!

Leah is a sophomore and Sociology major. She loves playing tennis with her family and reading!