Fat Talk Free Week – Will you take the pledge?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

We have all done it. We have stood in front of the mirror and criticized ourselves. We have pointed out flaws that don’t even exist. We have called ourselves names that we are anything but. We have tormented ourselves with fake ideals when, in reality, we are the most ideal form of us. Luckily, we have the power to stop this vicious cycle. We have FTFW.

Fat Talk Free Week is a campaign that brings attention to body image issues so that we stop bringing attention to those so-called flaws that we see in the mirror. FTFW focuses on young women and society’s battle with the “thin ideal” and eating disorders. It also encourages a healthy lifestyle to help young women change the way they see and feel about their bodies.           

Our society has a sick obsession with being thin. Open a magazine. Turn on the television. Have a conversation with your best friend. Being skinny plagues our every day. Have you gone a day without complaining that you aren’t thin enough? Have you said in the last week that you wished you were skinny? Have you called someone else skinny? We think skinny is a compliment when, in reality, being healthy is the best compliment of all.

Take a minute and think about all the times you have used the word skinny in the past week. Maybe you told your best friend she looked skinny in her black bodycon dress last Thursday. Maybe your best friend randomly told you that you looked skinny in your outfit as you headed to class. Now, replace the word skinny with beautiful. How does that compliment feel now? Better, right?

Why must emphasis always be placed on weight when we are complimenting looks? Why can’t we just look damn good and not “skinny” or “thin”? Many of the gorgeous actresses that we admire would not be cast in the Victoria Secret catalog or fashion show. They are not size “doesn’t exist”. Not to say these models aren’t beautiful, but Beyonce, Kim Kardashian, and Sofia Veragara are no less beautiful than they are for wearing sizes larger than 0. If you are a size 4, 6, 8, 10 WHATEVER, do not try to change yourself to fit the image that size 0 is the only and most beautiful size. I don’t know about you, but I think Beyonce is pretty gorgeous.

The scariest thing in our society is not the “thin ideal” but the routes young women will take in order to obtain this desired look. Eating disorders are all too common among teens and young adults. We must no longer torture ourselves to try to meet society’s unrealistic and unnecessary standards. Being thin is not in but being healthy is. Remember to treat your body with respect; eat well-balanced meals, drink lots of water, get plenty of rest, and exercise daily. When you treat your body right, you will feel good in return.

Love your body and love yourself. FTFW is not just about not using the f-word. It is about educating yourself about the harmful effects of the f-word and the presumption that all females should be thin. FTFW promotes a healthy, well-balanced lifestyle for young women but, above all else, it encourages young women to love their bodies. Help to inspire change in the way we think and feel about our bodies. Take the pledge and participate in FTFW! xo

This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!