This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

UNH Students have been abbreviating names for various locations as long as they have been around (some abbreviations more logical than others). The longer you have been around the UNH campus the more obvious these nicknames seem. So test yourself and see if you’re a true wildcat, how many of these 15 abbreviations do you know/use?

Food

DHOP- (Durham House of Pizza)
Durham House of Pizza is located right on Main Street, and is the best late night pizza around.  If you walk by and see the line out the door and are contemplating calling Domino’s, DON’T!  DHOP is ALWAYS worth the wait (plus you can buy it by the slice)!

HoCo- (Holloway Commons)
HoCo is the largest of the three UNH dining halls, located right inside the Memorial Union Building. It’s one of the busiest places on campus!

Philly- (Phillbrook)
Philly is another UNH dining hall home to the famous “bomblette” (another line that is ALWAYS worth the wait). Philly is unique because it is the only dining hall that has ‘late night’, it is open until 11pm Sunday-Thursday. It’s located near Williamson and Christensen, so don’t think of Philadelphia when your friends are asking you to get late night.

Wild Kitty- (Wildcatessen)
Wild Kitty is located below the Stilling (another dining hall).  They are famous for their late-night food. You can always find a line wrapped around the store of people waiting for their quesadillas and waffle fries. Over time Wildcatessen has been abbreviated to Wild Cat and then Wild Kitty (there are some slightly inappropriate new nicknames too, we’ll let you guess those ones yourself).

Bagelry – (Bagel Works)
The Bagelry was located where the Bagel Works is now. After 29 years of amazing business The Works took over in the fall of 2012. Lucky for us they sold their legionary bagel and sandwich recipes to The Works which are incorporated on the ‘Wildcat Classics’ menu!  Students and Durham natives are still not used to the change, so if you ever hear someone say the Bagelry they are referring to the Bagel Works.

Store 24- (Sammy’s Market)
This is another clear example of UNH not willing to accept change. Store ‘two-four’ is located right in the center of town, and tends to be a meeting point for most Durham local and UNH Students. The name changed from “Store 24” to “Tedeschi” a few years ago, and has recently been renamed to “Sammy’s Market”. You can change the sign all you want, but it will forever be referred to as “Store 24” (especially because the original Sammy is from CampCo).

Scorps (Scorpions Bar & Grill)
Scorps is one of the 3 bars in Durham.  It’s known for its weekly drink specials and fun basement parties.  If you know anything about UNH, you know that Scorps is NEVER referred to as Scorpions.  If you call it Scorpions we’ll assume you’re either a transfer or you have never been to UNH before. 

BNG- (Breaking New Grounds)
BNG is the original coffee spot in Durham.  Long before Aroma’s came to town, BNG has been serving the best coffee, lattes and even gelato to its faithful customers.

The Hut/The Shack (The Coffee Station)
Although this coffee drive-thru is not technically part of campus, it is near and dear to every girls heart (and the cure for every girl’s hangover)! Wheather you call it The Hut, The Shack, or The Coffee Station it is definitely the place to go. It is loacted in Newmarket, which might sound far (3.5miles from Main Street), but if you have a car it is worth the drive!

Locations

MUB- (Memorial Union Building)

The MUB is located right in the center of campus. The MUB is home to the mail room, HoCo, Union Court, Dunkin Donuts, Movie theaters, The Book Store, a game room, and so much more. It is a great place to study and hangout. If you haven’t been to the MUB, you most likely don’t attend UNH.

The DUMP- (Durham Market Place)
The DUMP is Durham’s local grocery store.  Although you hear the word DUMP, don’t assume your friends are buying their food from the same place that you bring your trash! 

Greens- (14 Madbury Road)
These apartments got their nickname from the green paint covering them (who would have guessed that?!).  The Greens aren’t the most luxurious apartments on campus, but known for their epic Halloween parties.

Coops- (University of New Hampshire: Cooperative Extension)
The Coops are the blue apartments right across from the Oyster River Middle School.  They get their abbreviation from the “UNH Cooperative Extension”.

Ghettos (22 Garrison Ave)
The Ghettos are located on Garrison Ave, and are pretty self-explanatory.  If you’ve ever been inside one of these apartments, you’ll know what we’re talking about… unless you hired Martha Stewart to decorate inside.

The Lodge (26 Strafford Ave)
The Lodge is loacted on the end of Strafford Ave, right near Edgewood Rd. It is infamous around campus for throwing crazy parties. You’ll know why this house is referred to as ‘The Lodge’ as soon as you start walking up the stairs to get inside.

Gennifer Davidson

Griffith Gold Coast

This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!