Do You Really Need That?

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

Amidst a world full of influencers, it can be easy to fall into any marketing gimmick or for the “miracle product.” However, the assertion of shopping as a hobby can only be fun for so long before it starts to hurt your wallet. If you find yourself in need of guidance related to your shopping, look no further.

The key here is understanding how to evaluate what you want, need or think you want. Think about all of the times you were hit with instant buyer’s remorse because you bought something from someone’s “holy grail” list. The goal here is to make conscious decisions in shopping to reduce that feeling. There is nothing wrong with buying yourself a little treat from time to time. You work hard and you deserve it, but the beauty is in the balance!

How would it fit into your daily life?

When you’re on a budget, practicality is everything. If you have to imagine a scenario where you can wear/use this item, then take a step back and think about it critically. Unless the item you’re eyeing will fill a hole in your closet, routine or responsibilities, you probably already have something that can do the same thing. There is beauty in having a small assortment of products that are tried and true to you, or a pair of sneakers that you wear every day. If this new product won’t fulfill you in the same way, don’t give it the time of day.

Would this make your life easier/better?

Piggybacking off the idea of already having something that works is the idea of a product or item working for you. There is no point spending your hard-earned money on something that will collect dust because you already have something else that you use every day. Unless the item is serving a completely different purpose than something you already own, it can go back on the shelf. The brand battles tend to amplify this tendency to the max. They want their products to be a hot commodity, so they trick you into forgetting about the water bottle you have that does the same thing. Don’t let them trick you!

Do you already have something like this?

The era of “dupes” is well underway. Yet, we often end up spending more money testing out every recommended dupe than if we had just purchased the name brand. Eventually, we reach a point where we have too many clothes and products to store, and all of them do the same thing. On top of that, think about how much money TikTok has gotten us to waste because we have too many products to use before they expire. Find what works for you and stick with it.

How long have you wanted this?

The urge to impulse buy is always strong. That is no one’s fault, stores thrive on the checkout line purchase. Everything is being marketed to you so you ignore your instincts and just buy it because “why not?” But this is a slippery slope. Don’t let the mere presence of a product deter you from your actual shopping list. It’s okay to see a cute outfit on Pinterest and admire it without instantly going to buy the same pair of shoes. If your desire for that product, or that shirt and so on was not present before you entered the store or saw the picture for the first time, take a step back and think about all the other questions above.

Will you use it?

Impulsivity and irrationality go hand in hand. Sometimes, you see something that is so cute or so fun that you forget to consider how much it would add to your life or space. But why buy something if you can’t visualize when you would use it? Chances are, if you can’t, it will get lost in the back of your drawer or closet and sit unused and forgotten.

Kathryn Gregoire is currently a sophomore at UNH. She studies English Literature and working towards a career in writing and publishing. She was born and raised in Rochester, New Hampshire where she developed a love for reading very early on. She is always apt to talk about anything book related (or to help you edit a paper). Her Black Lab, Betsy, is her best friend.