Dining in Durham – Franz’s Food Home of the JB

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

As I’m sure we can all agree – UNH is the best. What makes it the best? Well, for one we have a beautiful campus that is extremely Instagram worthy. Also, we have great sports teams to cheer on whether it be at the Fieldhouse, the Whittemore, or one of our fields. However what really makes it the best (at least in my eyes) is the local food. We have the Big Bean and the Hut (or Crack Shack, whatever you may call it) just down the road in Newmarket. We have great dining options in Portsmouth. But let’s not sell our lovely little town of Durham short. We have some amazing options for food, outside of our dining halls. We have the Works, or Libby’s or Pauly’s Pocket. Let’s not forget about DHOP, CampCo (Freddy Specials, am I right?) or Kurt’s Fries on a night out. However the single-handed best seller would have to be – Franz’s Food.

There are endless options on the menu in this diner-laundry mat duplex however there’s one item that keeps students coming back for more: the JB. This breakfast item is worth the on average 30+ minute wait on a Saturday or Sunday morning. Inside the beloved JB: two fried eggs, bacon, American cheese and two hash browns, with ketchup in a grilled flour tortilla. Sounds like a heart attack waiting to happen, tastes like heaven. I hate three out of the five ingredients in this breakfast but I am obsessed with this meal. Something about the way it all comes together just tastes so right. Students wait for so long on weekend mornings for this beloved breakfast food because it’s just that good. I had my first JB spring semester of my sophomore year and that was four semesters too late. If you haven’t had a JB yet, go and get one this weekend.

As UNH junior Rachael Duda puts it so perfectly, “If you want the full UNH experience you have to eat a JB.” Couldn’t have said it better myself. Go to Aroma’s while you wait for your beloved JB to be prepared, because you will be waiting, and enjoy the goodness that is the JB – it rejuvenates the soul, I promise. Even students from other schools love the JB. Allan Araujo of UMass Amherst says “It’s a twist on your average breakfast wrap, but it’s 10x better.” Need I say more? Do yourself a favor; get a JB this weekend, Wildcats. 

Amanda received her Bachelor of Arts in Communication from the University of New Hampshire in May of 2016. During her time at the University of New Hampshire, Amanda was a member of UNH's Her Campus team serving as a Contributing Writer, Co-Social Media Manager and Co-Campus Corespondent. In addition, she was also a Chapter Advisor for five HC Chapters. It was through her internships with WGBH&PBS, SheSpeaks, Inc. and the UNH Social Media Department that Amanda realized she wanted to pursue a career in Digital Marketing and Social Media with a focus in the publishing and media industry. In her free time, Amanda likes anything involving food, hanging out by any body of water, and spending time with her amazing friends and family. Follow her on Instagram @barba_amanda
This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!