This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

Dear Freshman me,

I know you are sad. This isn’t how you pictured college to be like. You expected to gain a group of friends, go to parties and feel like the world is at your fingertips. You expected to become a Marine Biologist and be on the top of your class. You expected the boy from back home was finally going to support you with everything you do and be the boyfriend you dreamed of.  You didn’t expect to be sitting in your room alone, crying to your mom on the phone, realizing you don’t have passion for what you believed to be your dream job and letting the boyfriend walk all over you. But that is the reality. It hurts. I know every time you head back to school after a break, you feel like you could throw up on the dashboard of Dad’s truck and you already start counting the days till when you can go back home. It feels like everyone around you is having the time of their lives while you’re having the worst.

But believe me when I say this, it will get better. I know you’re probably rolling your eyes at me, but it’s true. You are going to join amazing organizations. You are going to fall in love with your journalism major. You will find your passion, your purpose. You are going to meet the people you connect with and have crazy nights running around the streets of Durham. Crying phone calls to Mom will still happen, but the tears will come from how happy you are. You are going to break up with the boyfriend and never feel more independent and free. You won’t feel like throwing up on the dashboard. Now you are counting down the days till graduation and you don’t want to leave.

How did you do this? You kept going. You realized what you wanted and went after it. You knew UNH was home so you made sure it was. You made it happen, and for that I am so proud of you. Proud of the woman you have and are becoming. I am so excited to see what is in store for you.

So I know you are laying in your lofted bed, staring at the grimy popcorn ceiling, tears streaming down the sides of your face. I know you are wishing these 4 years would just be over with. But just keep holding on, you are instore for a crazy amazing ride.

Love,

You

UNH Journalism Student
This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!