Dancing From the Heart – UNH Students Show Their Love For Dance

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

When people think of dancing often times they may think back to dancing in a basement at a party with their friends or awkward middle school dances back in the day with their former boyfriend or girlfriend they exclusively talked on AIM. For many, however, dancing is much more than that. In fact it is their heart and soul – and for some, their major here at UNH. Mari Tibbetts, Senior Family Studies Major and Dance and Education Minor, claims “dance is the love of my life.” Tibbetts has been dancing for her whole life, and has continuted her passion for dance over the past four years here at UNH. Over the weekend of January 30th, it was made clear that Tibbetts is not alone with this passion. Three senior dance majors, Kayla Lennon, Grace MacDonald, and Matthew Blum, put on their own senior capstones, which were individual dances coregraphed by the three seniors, and for Blum’s case also performed by for UNH students, family, and friends in the Hennessy Theater in the PCAC. These 10-20 minute dances showcased their own lives or situations in their lives, through dance. These dances were perfomed by different students within the dance department here at UNH as part of their senior capstone as dance majors. As an audience, it was clear that Lennon, MacDonald and Blum put their heart and soul into these performances and really wanted to leave the audience speechless – which they did. The experience was emotional – whether you know the dancers or not – for both the perfomers, the choreographers, and the audience.  

photos courtesy of Jacqui Cohen 

Senior Dance student, Blum, has been very involved in the dance program here at UNH over his past four years. When asked about his experience with the capstones, and the dance program in general, Blum says, “I switched into the dance option my sophomore year at UNH. I had about six dance classes before I came to college. My first class at UNH was Ballet I, taught my Susan Endrizzi. I had a strong theater background, and figured if I want to make it in musical theater, I should probably learn how to dance – so, I did.” Blum continues to comment on his experiences with the capstones, “My capstone is a mixture between a representation of what I learned in the dance program at UNH from teachers and friends in the program, and a glimpse into what I want to do in the future which is blend together contemporary movement with contemporary musical theater.” Blum sums it up by saying, “Dance capsteones are chance for dance option seniors to do whatever we a want to do. The word dance encompasses everything from walking to screaming to sitting to classical ballet. And I’ve used all of those in my choreography. It’s an opportunity to create our own piece with basically no restrictions on our creative licenses.” Blum has been able to have quite the background in dance through his four years here at UNH, as well as the two past summers where he studied at the Joffery Ballet School to supplement his dance training here at UNH.

What is so important about what Blum mentions, besides how clear it is that the capstones are a clear representation as to what dance is to the dancer, is that here at UNH, dance is made easily accesiable to those who want to access it. This is something that not all students at UNH are aware of. The dancers at this school are extremley talented – and they deserve to be viewed just as any team or student organization that gets viewed. Their hard work and over all talent is something you do not find everywhere and is something to be honored and appreciated at this school. Blum’s passion for dance, and his experience is impressive – it is not everywher you find that, and have it so readily accesiable to see, like you do at UNH. 

photos courtesy of Jacqui Cohen 

Dance is not just for those who want to make it an option in their major here at UNH, though – which is also extremley unique. Tibbetts is extremley involved in the dance department here, despite it only be her major, and as been for the past four years. Tibbets comments, “The dance department is great for non-majors. At a lot of schools, you have to be a major to dance, but our school allows you to dance however much you please or however much your schedule allows, even if you’re not a major. I’m a minor and I have been able to take multiple dance classes every semester I have been here.” Based on what both Tibbets and Blum say, it is clear that dancing is something that if you have a passion for – you can be a part of here at UNH in some way. The allowance of being able to express yourself through dance that the UNH department ensure students here is inspiring and something that is unique to the university system.

While not every dancer at UNH gets to choergraph a capstone, they may have the chance to be asked to be in one. Ceara Tavares, Junior Psychology and Justice Studies Major with a Dance Minor adds, “The capstones are a really great way for these dancers. Both the choreographers and the dancers to showcase their work. Watching them start at the beginning states, seeing the process, and it eventually coming to life on stage is just really emotional. They are seniors and majority of us have dance together for four years and usually you see a lot of that come out in their work. They are usually trying to reflect their past four years here, both in dance and out of dance. I think it’s great that they are free, because anyone can go, so everyone can come and get something out of the dancers’ hard work.” Tavares has been involved in showcases, capstones, and large scale performances throughout her past three years at UNH, and clearly gets a lot out of both viewing and performing – as could anyone who chooses to be in the audience. 

Whether you are in the dance department or not, it’s here and it’s here for the students, by the students. Utilzing different services and events here on campus is important and will help make the most out of your time here at UNH. I ensure you, that especially with dance performances at UNH, you will not leave disapointed. These dancers put their blood, sweat, and tears into this department, and it’s really refresing and extremley inspiring to view. If you get a chance, make sure to go to their next performances throughout the semester… You’ll be happy you did. 

Amanda received her Bachelor of Arts in Communication from the University of New Hampshire in May of 2016. During her time at the University of New Hampshire, Amanda was a member of UNH's Her Campus team serving as a Contributing Writer, Co-Social Media Manager and Co-Campus Corespondent. In addition, she was also a Chapter Advisor for five HC Chapters. It was through her internships with WGBH&PBS, SheSpeaks, Inc. and the UNH Social Media Department that Amanda realized she wanted to pursue a career in Digital Marketing and Social Media with a focus in the publishing and media industry. In her free time, Amanda likes anything involving food, hanging out by any body of water, and spending time with her amazing friends and family. Follow her on Instagram @barba_amanda
This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!