This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

With October approaching and the leaves in New Hampshire beginning to change colors, I know it’s time to start working on my fall playlist. Having a designated playlist for every season is an absolute must for me as someone who literally needs music playing at all times. Join me on the journey that is creating the perfect fall playlist.

Gilmore Girls walking through Fall Festival
Warner Bros. Television

First, I like to go on Pinterest to get a sense of the feeling I want my playlist to encapsulate. Fall screams dark academia/early 2000s rom-com to me, so those vibes will guide the songs I choose. Picture a gloomy day snuggled up inside, reading a juicy romance novel. What music is playing in the background? That is the vibe we’re trying to achieve.

I also like to go back and reference past playlists; some songs are timelessly fall to me, and I will continue to keep them on my playlist year after year. Songs like “Kiss Me” by Sixpence None The Richer, “Dreams” by The Cranberries and “Ever Since New York” by Harry Styles.

With those songs as the foundation, I go back and continue to add songs throughout the season, whether it be songs I hear in a coffee shop, discover on TikTok or are even recommended by Spotify. Some songs on my “fall 23” playlist so far are:

• “willow” by Taylor Swift (actually, all of evermore)
  • “Ironic” by Alanis Morissette
  • “Fade Into You” by Mazzy Star
  • “Robbers” by The 1975
  • “Heaven Knows I’m Miserable Now” by The Smiths
  • “Landslide” by Fleetwood Mac
  • “Funeral” by Phoebe Bridgers

My favorite part about curating playlists for every season is being able to go back and listen to the old ones, and be reminded of specific moments from that time in my life. Now, go make that playlist and get listening!

Kylie is a senior English/Journalism student at UNH. She loves a good cold brew, The Office and any book by Emily Henry.