The Her Campus National Editors write about products we love and think you’ll love too. Her Campus has affiliate partnerships, so we get a share of the revenue from your purchase. All products are in stock and all prices are accurate as of publication.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

Over the past two years I have become more and more involved in the transformation of being sustainable and diving deeper into the meaning of living a waste free life. I have made all types of personal changes and have implemented sustainable swaps into everyday routines. My favorite however would definitely have to be my menstrual cup!!

At first, I know it can sound gross but it has changed my view on all things period. I was the most hesitant about this waste free alternative, and it took a while to finally try it out, but afterwards my life changed. I can confidently say I love my menstrual cup and I am so glad I decided to make the switch from tampons to cup. 

My menstrual cup has taken the fear out of my period and I no longer have to worry about if I stand up and there’s going to be a period stain on my pants, leaking through, or making sure I pack extra tampons. I can keep my menstrual cup in all day, even on my heaviest days, and no leaks! I change it about twice a day and it is so easy to work with. I can even sleep with it in all night and never have to worry about getting TSS. 

The cost of a cup compared to other period products is also insane. Menstrual cups truly are an investment and I have saved so much money already by making the switch. Keeping the environment and my wallet happy :) 

Last year I wanted to know just how expensive normal period products were so I decided to do some calculations. On average if someone uses 12 tampons a cycle, they would spend $38 a year on tampon products alone. $377 after 10 years and over $1,000 after 30 years. Keep in mind, most people also use some sort of pad as well throughout their cycle or use more than 12 tampons a cycle, so these numbers are lower than the typical tampon user. Overall $377 over the course of 10 years seems doable, but for many people this cost is not affordable. 

For menstrual cups I paid $30 for 2 different cups. A cup lasts on average for 30 years with proper care. I boil mine after each cycle and clean it everyday in the shower to ensure longevity in cup life. Most cups now can range from $15 to $45 but this is a one time cost. Therefore, even if you buy 2 menstrual cups, you would still be paying as little as $30-$90 over the course of 30 years for period products. Much cheaper than that of over $1,000 for competing period products. 

Knowing that my period is stress free because of my cup has helped my mindset dramatically. I used to get annoyed or upset with my period but now I feel at peace knowing I found a system that works and helps keep the environment clean. I recommend for everyone with a period to try a menstrual cup for at least a couple months and see what changes they’ve noticed.

Aliana currently attends the University of New Hampshire, dual majoring with Business Admin: Management and Sustainability. Her favorite place is anywhere near the beach and on the ocean. She is NH born and raised but has spent a majority of her childhood in Ipswich, MA where she continues to frequent. Ipswich being near the water, has been a huge driver for Aliana's sustainability practices, as she was able to view the environment with a new perspective.