photos of study abroad
photos of study abroad
Elizabeth Berry

Creating the Perfect Study Abroad Checklist

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

the excitement

Going abroad is exciting and very overwhelming at the same time. Spring Semester of 2023 I went to Florence, Italy, and had the best time of my life. I had so many unexpected purchases that I had to find and buy overseas which made it difficult at first. Before leaving, the thought of adapting to a whole new lifestyle and place is overwhelming but it is so exciting at the same time! This is a list of items I never thought to bring and wish I did to help prepare you for your journey abroad!

umbrella

Over in Europe specifically, umbrellas are a huge must in the rain. Bringing my umbrella saved me on my walks to class in the city. In Florence on rainy days, there are many people selling umbrellas around the city for a few dollars. I recommend bringing a smaller travel-size one that you can be able to carry around and bring on weekend trips in case the weather is going to be rainy. The majority of people walking around the city will be also using an umbrella so you will be fitting in just fine!

Shower shoes

This was an item I never once thought about, and then had to spend way too long trying to find cheap flip-flops in Portugal. When staying in hostels, you never know if you will need shower shoes. Do yourself the favor and bring some cheap shoes to be able to stuff in your bag for weekend trips. On weekend trips I found myself using my shower shoes almost as my house shoes instead of bringing my pair of slippers and wasting space.

Lock

If you plan to do a lot of traveling and are going to stay in a hostel, a lock is a good idea to grab before you leave. When staying in a hostel you can normally rent locks but you can bring your own as well when you want to lock your stuff up. We would always keep our passports and other important documents in there when going to sleep or if we did not need them with us. Also, getting a lock for your suitcase and carry-on is good to ensure your belongings are more protected.

Apple Airtag

This was the most pressing item I did not bring abroad but wish I did. The Apple Airtag is so helpful to give you peace of mind while traveling. Some of my roommates had Apple Airtags for their luggage and could always have an eye on their belongings when we flew somewhere or even when away from our housing for the day. I wish I had one to put in my carry-on for weekend travels and another one for my crossbody or purse for the day in case anything got stolen.

your favorite snacks

One thing I regretted was not bringing more of my favorite American snacks! Many classic favorite snacks like Goldfish and Cheez-Its are not available there or they are very expensive. Some of my roommates and I had our parents bring us food from home to have mid-semester! Many candies are not the same with not as much peanut butter and there are different flavors of chips than in the U.S. Bring some if you have room in your suitcase and you will not regret it!

international adapter

An adapter is a must when going international because their outlets are different than U.S. outlets. I recommend getting an international adapter that can be used for many countries and changed depending on your needs. These adapters are good because you can use them anywhere and you never know where you will end up traveling. Having this type of adapter also can be useful for the future after studying abroad and after college.

Go pack!

Ensure all of these items are on your packing list because they will be helpful to make your transition easier and small enough to add to your list! Studying abroad was the best time of my life and I am sure it will be yours as well. Create the best memories and immerse yourself in the culture around you! These essentials will be helpful in your experience abroad and your travels!

Victoria is a senior marketing and management major at the University of New Hampshire. She can most likely be reading her Kindle, watching 'New Girl' or 'Too Hot To Handle', or traveling!