Style > Fashion

Crafting A Capsule Wardrobe

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

Building a work capsule wardrobe for women is not just about fashion. In a world that seems obsessed with trends (I’m guilty of falling for it too), there’s something about embracing timeless elegance in personal style. Here are some tips to creating a capsule wardrobe of your own!

Classic staples

Every great wardrobe begins with a solid foundation, and when it comes to timeless style, classic staples are the key. Invest in pieces that will last. Some pieces include a well-tailored blazer, a white shirt and a pair of perfectly fitted jeans. It’s important to focus on the basics here! While classic staples are essential for a work capsule wardrobe, don’t forget to add some effortlessly casual pieces. Think about comfortable yet stylish items like a well-fitted pair of jeans, a cozy sweater or a versatile T-shirt. These pieces can be the foundation for your more relaxed, day-to-day looks. They can effortlessly transition from season to season, making it easy to adjust as needed.

Quality over Quantity

I struggle with this aspect the most, but it’s the most important way to create a capsule wardrobe. When curating your capsule wardrobe, quality should always trump quantity.  Go for fabrics that not only feel like good quality but also have the durability to withstand the wear and tear of daily life. Well-maintained clothing lasts longer. Assess the functionality of each item. Does it serve a purpose in your daily life? If an item doesn’t align with your lifestyle, it may not be worth including in your capsule wardrobe.

Focus on Neutrals

Neutral colors serve as the staple for timeless style. Embrace a palette of blacks, whites, grays and earthy tones that effortlessly complement each other. These types of colors make mixing and matching different pieces much simpler. Denim is a timeless casual staple. Whether it’s a pair of well-fitted jeans, a denim shirt or a casual denim jacket, denim pieces effortlessly blend into a casual wardrobe.

The Perfect Fit

Another great way to create a timeless wardrobe is to purchase pieces that fit perfectly. Take the time to find pieces that flatter your silhouette. Getting your clothing tailored to your exact measurements will make this step a lot easier. Consider the activities you enjoy during the weekends, and tailor your capsule wardrobe accordingly. Whether it’s brunch with friends or a casual movie night, having a few weekend-appropriate pieces is key.

Accessorize!

Accessories can make or break a look. Invest in a few high-quality accessories that fit your personal style. Pieces like a classic leather handbag, a nice watch or a pair of diamond earrings can elevate a look quickly. These subtle accents add a touch of personality without overpowering the timeless aesthetic.

BOTM DIY Spa Holiday SK?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp

Remember, the key is to strike a balance between comfort and style. The beauty of a capsule wardrobe lies in its mix-and-match potential. I hope these tips help you start your capsule wardrobe in 2024!

University of New Hampshire’24 Business Administration Major