This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

For people across the country, this week has been one of the most influential, historic weeks of their lives. At the time of this writing, we are still anxiously awaiting the results of the remarkable race.

For me, this week has been equally exhausting and exhilarating. Between the so-called “election-anxiety” and social media frenzy that has occurred, I have felt as if I always have to be on the ball. Why is that? Because for the first time in my life, I got to cover the presidential election, New Hampshire gubernatorial election, and local elections for the University of New Hampshire’s (UNH) school newspaper.

polling station
Photo by Elliott Stallion from Unsplash

I have been very privileged to not have to worry in the past about knowing what is going on in the political world, but for the first time I have had the opportunity to learn by experiencing. I’ve learned what many words mean, the difference between specific political positions, the meaning of the electoral college and how this election truly impacts the lives of others.

My fellow staff members of the newspaper and I have been preparing for this election since September, from the variety of articles and topics that needed to be written to setting up interviews with as many candidates as we can to taking shifts at the polls to make sure we never missed a beat.

Typewriter with "Elections 2020" typed on paper
Photo by Markus Winkler from Unsplash

So, what has my Election Day-turned-election week been like? I have one word for you: nonstop.

I spent Election Day balancing a full day of classes and work and running to and from the polls to make sure we documented one of the most important elections in our lives and the truth for the students of UNH. At the polls during the day, I had the opportunity to interview state representatives running for reelection, watch poll workers and residents of Durham do their civic duty, as well as interview the final voter of election night in Durham, who also just so happened to be a first-time voter.

The feeling of being able to watch everything happen and know that what I was doing mattered was euphoric. Our Election Day team felt important and like everything we were doing could make a huge difference in someone’s life, and that’s why we do what we do.

biden
HCM Design

It didn’t stop there, though. I spent my night watching CNN until 12:30 a.m. and then waking up and doing it all over again – sending emails for interviews to local candidates who won, editing articles and continuing to watch CNN for constant updates. Even as I write this, I have CNN playing in the background and am listening to the latest results as they come in. The night after Election Day, our team stayed up until 2:30 a.m. editing and planning as results still weren’t in.

While our newspapers may be out, that doesn’t mean our job stops. That’s the beauty of it all: news never stops. There is always something out there that needs to be covered. Where there is a question, there is a story. And while sleep is a necessary aspect in people’s lives, we sit here with heavy eyes and adrenaline pumping through our bodies, waiting for the latest update.

U. of NH 2022
This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!