This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

Senioritis

Alright. Is anyone else a senior this year and will be graduating in May? I am, and let me tell you I’ve been having serious senioritis. Assignments? No thank you. Final projects? Yeah, I’ll do those later. APPLYING TO GRADUATE? Terrifying.
I don’t know about you all, but I have so much time but so little motivation that it’s getting tough. Finals can’t come soon enough (not that I want finals…) and classes can’t end fast enough. Looking through the rest of my assignments and “planning” when I’ll do them is not cutting it at this point. Hell, I’ve started giving myself snack breaks in between sections of an assignment just to get them done. So, here are some tips to keep you going throughout the rest of your senior year:

1. Understand that you have limits and need breaks
  2. Take into account how your mental health is
  3. Reflect on the last 4 years
  4. Remember how you felt graduating high school? Yeah. That’s coming back
  5. Always look forward, never back
  6. Don’t stop going until you walk off that stage with your diploma
  7. Pace yourself
  8. Party hard, study harder
  9. Thank your professors and friends
  10. Thank yourself

Planning Ahead

I most certainly haven’t started planning for adulting. Some of my friends already have plans for master’s degrees, apartments after graduating, big girl jobs, etc. I honestly feel a little bit behind compared to them – but then again I’m only 20 years old. I mean, I work two jobs in local veterinary clinics but it honestly doesn’t feel enough. When looking ahead at bills that will need to be paid and especially student loan repayment I only get those fear shakes. I’ve been working on figuring out my monthly income to see if/when I could afford to move out of my parents’ house. It’s such a strange feeling to be saying that.

After a simple google search of “How do I adult?” I got a ton of ideas for things I can do. Here are some of the ones I found most helpful:

• Learn time management – Consider using a calendar or a planner to figure out when you have free time to fit in things such as relaxation, exercise, going out, etc. It’s important to have things that bring you joy in your weekly routine.
  • Budgeting – Easier said than done, am I right? Something I’ve learned is that asking adults you look up to for advice on how to budget can be super beneficial. It can seem scary at first, especially when you’re trying to figure out bills alongside the basic needs for your wellbeing. This is where a successful adult can come in handy, they can tell you their struggles and things they’ve learned while growing into adulthood and hopefully can help you in the right direction!
  • Managing stress – In college, I’m sure we all experienced some sort of stress. Whether you handled it or not can be a good indicator of things you should focus on. I personally see a therapist a few times a month just to debrief and let loose to someone who’s not involved in my situations. She’s also helped me to figure out some stress management practices. I totally suggest learning square breathing techniques or even a simple hobby to give you some free headspace. I’ve personally taken up embroidery in my free time~

Reminiscing

As I mentioned earlier before you take that final walk make sure to thank those who have helped you get where you are today. Your family and friends for supporting you, your professors for guiding you, and yourself for being the vessel you reside in. Don’t forget those nights you spent partying hard just to spend Sunday hungover and doing assignments – don’t bring that into adulthood, however. Take the time to have a breather and let your body rest before continuing. Take the time you have left at college and make memories. You only have a few more weeks, you better make them last.

XOXO,

Lanie <3

Hi there! I'm Lanie & I am a senior at the University of New Hampshire as a veterinary technician student. :) I am a sister of Alpha Xi Delta and a huge animal lover, and a caffeine addict!