Collegiette’s Guide To Nail Designs

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

Ok ladies, its around that time of year again where all you want to do is pamper yourself! Everyone loves a good manicure from the salon, but lets face it…we’re in college and sometimes other things tend to take priority when it comes to spending; booze, coffee, clothes, shoes, just to list a few. Now that it is spring, there is no more hiding those nails in your gloves or pockets. It is time to flaunt them! Here are some of my favorite tricks and tips for doing your own nails. 

I usually find most of the nail designs I use on Pinterest or Instagram. (As if I don’t play on my phone enough), I always find myself stalking the latest trends and sure enough there are several “nail” accounts out there. Finding inspiration is easy. Look at your handbag design, your earrings, or any pattern you see.  Once you get an idea you just have to go with it.

If you’re up for a little procrastination on your homework or a study break, painting your nails is the perfect thing. First you paint your base coat, and let it completely dry before doing anything else. Patience is key! Once your base coat is dried, you can begin a design. If you’re doing small detailed designs, its easy to use the end of a toothpick, a straightened paperclip, or nail brushes. Nailbrushes and specifically designed polishes strictly for nail design and are very cheaply sold at drugstores. If you’re doing any type of pattern or design it is important to simply go slow and keep a steady arm. If you’re going for a more jagged or layered look, scotch tape is a lifesaver. You can use tape to make really straight edgy lines. Also, when it comes to doing french tips scotch tape does the trick perfectly! 

The design above is really simple and easy. It shows the step by step process I took. Its quick and perfect for this spring weather! The design below, curtesy of homecoming was really simple, a little time consuming but well worth it. Anyone can do it with just a little patience. Who doesnt love a little school spirit?

Lets take my “Jersey Shore wannabe” nails from my instagram for example. I painted my base coat and let it completely dry. Then I took a straightened paperclip and slightly dipped it into my bottle of nail polish so there is only a little bit of paint on the tip. Then I scattered a bunch of different sized dots on each of my nails. That’s the base of the pattern. After I let that dry I used the nail design brush and simply outlined each dot for that cheetah print look. I didn’t try to hard to be perfect because I wanted each cheetah spot to be different, and original. I let that dry and put my clear topcoat on. That’s it! It’s that easy!

One of my favorite, and easiest nail deigns is the sponge design. Paint your base coat and let it dry.  Pour out a little bit of nail polish on a clean, nonabsorbent surface. Then simply take a very little piece of a sponge, dip it in the polish and start to dab at the nails. Dabbing at an angle and very lightly is important. Don’t use too much paint either! You want to be able to see the spongy pattern. You can blend the colors really smoothly or make it really bold. If you want to layer a couple of colors in your sponging, go for it! It never hurts to experiment. Let it completely dry and throw on a topcoat, and you’re done!

If you’re like me, than your actual nails are far from perfect. Whether you’re a nail biter, have chipped and broken nails, or keep them short, you can still do them! I occasionally like to apply my own fake nails. It is really easy and they stay on for quite a while. They sell plain fake nails at most drug stores. To apply and make they last a while, clean your nails really well, use a high quality nail glue and make sure to glue the base of the nail down, versus the middle of the nail. Once all the nails are on, and secure, you can cut and file to fit your likes! The best part about applying the fake nails is that you can paint them before you apply which avoids the whole factor of having to paint your left hand. This completely eliminates the sloppy nail polish that tends to get on our nails, and clothes, from time to time. They look nice and clean and professional.

Whatever you decide your nails to be, just have fun with it! If you’re worried about your left hand, trust me, I am no better at it than you are. Painting the left hand can be a bit overwhelming, but you just need to be confident and do it. I dare you to step outside of the box and attempt that nail desgin you found on pintest and you’ll be surprised with what you come up with. And dont forget about your toes! They need a little love too. 

This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!