A Collegiette Travels to Iceland

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

Iceland is probably one of the most out of the ordinary places you can go, mainly because there is nowhere quite like it. Its unusual having the mix of mother nature and modern world that you find here. To be more specific, we are travelling to Reykjavik, the capital of Iceland.

First and most foremost, the time of year you decide to go is important! If you’re the kind of person who wished the day had more hours, go in the summer, when you can experience 22 hours of daylight! And if you’re a party girl who wants more hours of nightlife, go in the winter when the city is doused in never-ending night.  

I can promise you one thing; Reykjavik is going to surprise you! It is nothing like what you would expect from a city located in the middle of tundra and volcanoes. This city has everything! The people living here are known for great style, which is probably because of the great shopping options you have here. And after a day of shopping you could go have dinner at a world-class restaurant, followed by a night on the town. Reykjavik is known for having a great night scene and you should be aware that people here don’t go home until breakfast time, so get ready for a night long party!

5 Places you must visit while in Reykjavik:
Blue Lagoon:

The blue lagoon is a geothermal spa located 30 minutes outside the city. This is a must when in Iceland, and a perfect place for a collegiette to recharge her batteries. The lagoon holds six million liters of geothermal seawater, which is renewed every 40 hours. The water’s temperature is 98-102°F and is heated up beneath the ground by earth’s natural forces. This water captures earth’s minerals, and the mud found in the lagoon has amazing effects on skin. Besides the actual lagoon there is also an indoor spa, bars and restaurants. I would save at least half a day for this wonderful and absolutely unique experience.

Riding Tours:

Tripadvisor ranks this attraction #1 out of all attractions in Iceland, and I’m not surprised. Islenski Hesturinn is the only horse rental in Iceland, and there you will get a pure breed Icelandic horse for however long you wish, and there is a guide that will take you out and give you a tour of Icelandic nature unlike anything you’ve ever experienced before. Obviously it’s extra fun if you like riding, but I took my family there once, and they all enjoyed it even though none of them normally ride.

The Golden Circle Classic:

This is an amazing guided bus trip that stops at some of Iceland’s most famous natural wonders, including their National Park, the geysirs, the famous Gullfoss waterfalls and many more. It’s a great way to get around to seeing all aspects of the nature in one tour.

Whale Watching:

Outside Reykjavik there is a booming marine life, and plenty of opportunities to experience it! These tours are offered from April through October and depart from different areas around Reykjavik, based on where it’s most likely to see whales and dolphins. The trips take around 3 hours, and they serve food and refreshments on-board (drinking age in Iceland is only 18 years!). Defiantly a fun experience and it’s also a great opportunity to get some National Geographic worthy pictures.

Super Jeep Tours:

Lastly, but not least, this super jeep tour is something that is a must when in Iceland! These cars have earned their name because they are amazing in the tough terrain in Iceland, such as deep snow, lava fields and swift glacial rivers. They allow you to get an “off path” sort of experience and go where no one else can. Professionals drive the cars and these drivers also give you all the fun facts about the places you go. And the places you go are unlimited! I promise you, not many times are you going to get the opportunity to drive across glaciers and hot springs, but these cars make it possible!

New Jersey native, Stephanie, is a junior in the Whittemore School of Business and Economics at the University of New Hampshire. She is majoring in Business Administration with a dual concentration in Marketing and International Business & Economics. She loves the city and lived there last summer while interning for Ann Taylor. Stephanie loves sushi and Starbucks lattes. She is also a proud member of Alpha Phi and currently serves as the Treasurer on the Panhellenic Council.