Cheap Gift Ideas for the Holidays

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

I think I speak for most of us when I say as the semester winds down, so do the funds in our bank accounts.  The only problem with this is we are approaching the holiday season, which means we often have to buy presents.  Whether it be a creative DIY present or something you buy on sale this upcoming Black Friday, there are many ways to make it through the holidays without doing permanent damage to your wallet. 

1. UNH Apparel

This is one of the easiest gifts you can bring home to anyone in your family.  You don’t have to go far to get it and there are so many options!  Not to mention, you can catch sales here and there which will save you some money!  All of this is available on campus at Hayden Sports, Town & Campus, and the UNH Bookstore (in the MUB) but the bookstore also has an online store, too!  Here are a few ideas for what to buy: The classic “UNH Mom/Dad” shirt/sweatshirt, A UNH Blanket (They’re made out of sweatshirt material and are super comfy!), A UNH Coffee Mug (there are regular mugs and travel mugs, too!) and UNH Hats.

2. Gift Cards

If you can finance it, you can’t go wrong with gift cards.  Whether it’s to a restaurant, coffee shop, clothing store, or even iTunes, gift cards are a gift that everyone can enjoy, which makes them that much more appealing.

3. Framed Photos:

If you’re really strapped for money, pictures are one of the best gifts you can give.  Whether it’s for your parents, grandparents, significant other, or best friend, you can always find a nice picture to print for them.  Check stores like The Christmas Tree Shops, Marshalls, TJ Maxx and Target for cheap frames!

4. Candles:

When you think of candles, I’m sure you instantly think of Yankee Candle.  Although they have great candles, Bath & Body Works has the best candles!  Sometimes you can get them on sale (2 for $20) and they last forever.  They even have candles geared more towards the male population, too!

5. Electronic Cases

There’s no denying it: we’re all obsessed with our phones and tablets.  Cases are an easy present to buy and you can get them so cheap – check out websites like eBay, Amazon, and Etsy!

6. DIY Gifts:

If you need something for your parents, consider cooking them dinner (or breakfast, for the culinary challenged group).  This can be super cheap and parents live for these kinds of gifts. If you’re really crafty, you can make cheap gifts for friends and family!  Pinterest is loaded with ideas, but here are a few to consider: Cookie in a Jar, Tie blankets, Manicure in a Jar and Tile Coasters! You can get away with spending $20 and under for a lot of homemade gifts, which can be great for your wallet!

This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!