This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

Spring break is right around the corner and taking a plane ride might be right between you and paradise! Having the perfect items in your carry-on can make a huge difference in your flight experience. 

The first thing you need is a purse or backpack that is a decent size. It’s always better to have more space and not have to shove things in your bag. My two go-to bags are the Vera Bradley Lap-Top backpack and an over the shoulder tote WITH a zipper. Having a zipper on the bag is key. You don’t want anything spilling out and getting lost when traveling, especially with valuables such as your passport, ticket, and wallet inside.

The inside of your bag:

-Book/Magazine: I always try to read on an airplane but often end up falling asleep. If you can read a book on a plane then it’s a great time to! If you have the same problem I do, try reading a magazine instead.

*If you have Internet on your flight, the best thing to read is Her Campus!

-Lip balm: One item that is essential, but often forgotten, is lip balm. It’s always good to have on you! Nothing is worse than suffering from chapped lips for hours and not having any lip balm! My personal favorites are Burt’s Bees, Eos, and Baby Lips.

-Comfortable headphones: If you are going to listen to music or watch a movie, having nice headphones is way better than using ear buds. Airplanes can be naturally noisy and using normal ear buds don’t quite cut it.

-Socks: Taking your shoes off is ok IF you have socks. Honestly, no one wants to see/smell your feet! If you have a nice fresh pair of socks, you can avoid both and get comfortable with your shoes off.

-Makeup remover wipes: If you fall asleep, chances are your eye makeup might be a little messed up when you wake up. If you have makeup remover wipes, it’s a quick fix! Don’t bring liquid make-up remover because it will get taken away at security!

-Neck pillow: Sleeping on an airplane can be difficult. However, a neck pillow can make sleeping a lot better. A neck pillow can also prevent a sore neck and shoulder

-Sweatshirt: Airplanes can be cold! And there is nothing worse than freezing the whole ride. An easy fix is to just bring a sweatshirt. You then at least have the option to add an extra layer.

-Small makeup bag (blush, mascara, powder, eyeliner): After a long plane ride, you might want to touch-up. Having a small bag of essentials that you can use before you land can leave you looking nice and fresh for when you get off the plane!

-Computer/Kindle/iPad/iPod: Listening to music, playing games, watching a movie or a TV show is a great way to pass the time. Make sure your device is fully charged before getting on!

-Snack: Personally the little bag of peanuts doesn’t do it for me. Before you get on the plane, treat yourself to your favorite snack! Having something to munch on is never a bad idea.  

Before you take off to your spring break destination, make sure you have all of the essentials! 

This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!