Campus Celebrity: Cameron Cook

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

Cameron Cook is the eyes and ears of the University of New Hampshire. As our Student Body President, Cameron works tirelessly to make this campus the “Wildcat Country” as we know it. Take a look at our exclusive Her Campus interview witht this week’s Campus Celeb!

Year: Junior

Major: Political Science, minor in Justice Studies

When did you begin your role as Student Body President and how did you attain that role?

I officially took office on May 1st after campaigning.  It truly felt like a legitimate campaign as my competitors were intelligent, ambitious and knowledgeable about various policies and UNH student life. I like knowing that I earned the role that I have and the fact that I gained such a great experience from such a competitive campaign.

Explain the Student Body President campaigning process.

Campaigning is interesting here on a college campus for sure. In January, we handed out a petition to get 300 signatures in order to start a ballot. I would go to hall councils, various fraternities and sororities and student organizations to get signatures. We also created a strong social media campaign to get my name and policies out there, especially with the UNH class pages on Facebook. In addition to all that, we also created a video with highlights about the campaign which was published in March.

Who works with you to help the student body?

Our efforts are essentally split into two sides. There are a series of council chairs who have different focuses for student needs and interests. I am more the policy pusher. The student senate advocates for the student body and helps to voice students’ opinions, perspectives and interests. The student senate also helps to analyze financial aspects having to do with student life. In addition, SAFc which stands for Student Activity Fee committee, has to do with the financial support of student run organizations and clubs on campus. I encourage any student to approach me if they have any questions or concerns as I will help them to the best of my ability and if I can’t, I will look to my team for assistance.

What type of impact has being a student body president had on your time here at UNH?

The biggest impact would be all of the things that you learn about yourself both personally and as a leader. I have learned so much about my style in terms of leadership as I have learned to adjust to other people’s needs, wants and personal beliefs even if they do not align with my personal values. This is important because there are 13,000 undergraduate students and I am just the conduit. I also have made so many social connections through my role as student body president especially with students. I have had the opportunity to learn so much about this university and be in-the-know about everything behind the scenes on campus. Time management is something that I quickly learned through my presidential role as well. I usually try to do a week’s worth of homework a week before it is due so I am always ahead and on top of my work.

Are you involved in any other clubs or orgs on campus?

I have been a part of Phi Mu Delta for four semesters. We returned to campus in the Fall of 2012. Our social fraternity values brotherhood, service and democracy!

What do you like to do in your free time?

I like to play basketball, watch high quality movies, eat food, and hang out with my girlfriend.

Any last pieces of information about your role as our UNH student body president that you would like to share with readers?

I love this campus and I’m an open book. My door is always open for students if they have a question or need help. I will answer my phone at any time. Even if it is 3am, I will answer my phone if I hear it.

And finally, of course…

GO WILDCATS!

This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!