Books to Add to Your Fall Reading List (Not Seen on TikTok)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

As the crisp autumn leaves shift from emerald to amber, I have fallen back into my old routine on campus. With a coffee in one hand and a textbook in the other, I find joy in embracing my Rory Gilmore era. When I’m not studying, I have an appreciation for books that can keep my mind off my (occasionally chaotic) schedule. Recently, I have read three novels with very different narratives.

Warning: There are some spoilers ahead.

The Devil Wears Prada by Lauren Weisberger

This story follows Andrea Sachs, a recent college graduate, as she tackles her first job as a personal assistant in New York City. While she is an aspiring writer, she takes an unexpected role as an assistant in the high-fashion world. It is not gratifying for her per se, but it is an opportunity “a million girls would die for.” Her boss, Miranda Priestly, is a narcissistic editor-in-chief with unrealistic expectations and a knack for passive-aggressive commentary. Andrea comes face-to-face with several challenges that force her to juggle her personal life with a demanding career. The novel focuses on Andrea’s journey of growth, redefining success and understanding self-worth. For those who have seen the movie adaptation, the book has a different ending and it is the perfect closure for readers who enjoy a little payback. 

Animal Farm by George Orwell

Whether you are looking for a classic or a book that was way ahead of its time, I recommend Animal Farm. In this novel, Orwell describes the story of a group of farm animals who form a rebellion against humans. Immediately following their successful overthrow, the animals are thrilled with their newfound sense of equality and independence. However, shortly thereafter, one of the animals becomes power-hungry, and a dictatorship is established. This dictatorship inevitably places the animals in a worse environment than they were in at the beginning of the story. This novel was written during World War II. It was speculated at the time that Orwell based the plot on Joseph Stalin’s rise to power in Russia. Regardless, I found this book was unlike anything I have ever read before, and it has piqued my interest in reading Orwell’s other classic work, 1984

As You Wish: Inconceivable Tales from the Making of The Princess Bride by Cary Elwes

If you are an avid movie buff, you may be familiar with the classic 1987 film The Princess Bride. This novel is a behind-the-scenes account by Cary Elwes, who played the role of Westley. It is an in-depth look at his experiences while on set making the film. I used to watch The Princess Bride as a kid, so it was interesting to gain a new perspective. He also incorporated elements from other cast and crew members, which perfectly depicted the amount of effort that was poured into the whole production, from screenwriting to the final cut. The passion Elwes has for The Princess Bride was heartwarming to read about, and it certainly added to my appreciation for the film.

Next on My Reading List:

1984 by George Orwell

Daisy Jones and The Six by Taylor Jenkins Reid

Jenna is a biochemistry major at the University of New Hampshire on the pre-med track. She enjoys reading, chai lattes, and watching sunsets.