Best Spooky Shows to Binge on Netflix Right Now

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

The weather recently has been making me want to curl up in a ball on my couch, light a candle, and not get up for the entire day- and honestly, that is what my roommates and I have been doing. So, I have compiled a list of the spooky shows we have been binging lately to get us in the Halloween spirit. 

Lock and Key

When I first saw this show come up in my recommendation section on Netflix, I was confused. I thought it was a children’s show, but after watching, I am not really sure if that is the correct genre. The plot is super engaging, as it follows a mother and her three children where they move into an old family home. As you can imagine the house has tons of surprises for them, and while the magical keys and ghosts inhabiting the home may seem like a simple children’s story, the show actually has a pretty dark plot. Locke and Key explores murder and dark themes of mental health, which give the show a much more mature feeling- I was genuinely scared at some parts. Another plus is that the show recently just came out with a second season, so there is even more for you to binge!

American Horror Story

A staple to the spooky atmosphere of Halloween is American Horror Story. There is a reason why this show has such a large fanbase and following- it is insanely good. Each season is terrifying in it’s own unique way- my personal favorite is Coven. In my opinion, it is the best to watch around Halloween because it isn’t too scary, but just creepy enough. If you are looking for something a little scarier, maybe with a killer clown, the season titled Freak Show is also a good choice. The cast is talented, and I love how they play different characters in each season. All the seasons are currently available on Netflix for your viewing. 

Gilmore Girls

While this one may not be a Halloween-centered show, it still gives off fall vibes. For me and many of my friends, it is a fall staple. Gilmore Girls takes place in a quaint New England town (how much more fall can it get?), following a mother and daughter duo in this multigenerational drama. A much less scary option out of the shows listed so far, this one is sure to warm your heart and make you laugh. 

You 

You is a dark psychological thriller show that is super alluring and has so many twists and turns. The plot line is insane, following a man who goes to extreme measures to insert himself into women’s lives. The show blends together crime and murder, while incorporating aspects of rom-com. The second season just came out on Netflix, and it has already been renewed for a third!

Stranger Things

Combining supernatural forces and secret government experiments, this shows lets you experience all of the emotions. This show is surprisingly heartwarming, despite its eerie nature. The characters are lovable, the plot line is engaging, and the cast is extremely talented. I am counting down the days until the next season comes out on Netflix, but in the meantime, the first three are available to watch now. 

All five of these shows are on Netflix right now, have more than one season to binge, and most importantly can help get you into the mood for Halloween!

Future School Psychologist Lover of sweatshirts, books, iced coffee and rom-coms.