Best Psychological Thrillers On Netflix

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

Recently, I have been super into any shows that are suspenseful, mysterious and psychologically thrilling. I happened to stumble across a lot of shows and even some short movies as well as some documentaries on Netflix that captured these genres perfectly. If you have never been into these types of series or they seem to bore you, I have found the perfect shows for you. All of the shows on this list have insane twists and turns and things that you would never even see coming. I will briefly explain each show in this list without any spoilers in case you want to go explore any of the titles on this list. 

1. The Harlan Coben Collection – This is not the name of a singular title. There are about eight different series in this collection that all fall under the thriller category on Netflix. I stumbled across a trending show called Fool Me Once which, once I finished, led me to the rest of Coben’s collection. Harlan Coben is an author, and these shows were created based on his thrillers. Every single show in this collection kept me on the edge of my seat the entire time. I watched Netflix every single chance I got once I discovered this collection. Each one is different from each other, so you do not have to worry about getting bored by the same plot in different fonts. I highly recommend this collection to anyone who wants to get into watching this genre of shows. 

2. Lover Stalker Killer – This one is actually a documentary that was recommended to me by my boyfriend’s mom. I immediately went to watch it after she recommended it because we like a lot of the same types of shows. This is more of a true crime documentary because it is based on something that actually happened. This documentary really showed how crazy people can be and it kept me thinking about how many other people in the world may have experienced scenarios like this. It is about an hour and a half long, so I recommend this if you want to start with something shorter that you can watch in one sitting. 

3. American Murder: The Family Next Door – This is also a true crime documentary that lasts about an hour and a half. This is one of the first true crime documentaries I ever watched on Netflix. My jaw was on the floor the entire time I watched this. I do want to give a fair warning that this one is super sad. My heart broke at the end. This documentary also shows how insane people can be and how you always need to be cautious of the people you surround yourself with. I recommend this one if you want to really feel the story. 

4. Conversations With A Killer: Jeffrey Dahmer Tapes – This short series is very psychological. If you enjoy psychology and seeing how serial killers’ brains work, then this is the series for you. This provides real-life courtroom footage and audio of conversations that the police and prosecutors had with Dahmer. I really enjoy this series because I have always been fascinated with the way that serial killers’ brains and thought processes have worked. I highly recommend this one if you are into psychology, or even if you want to listen in on how someone could do such a thing as Dahmer did. 

All of the ideas of these shows are purely my opinion. This may not be some people’s genre and I understand that. Hopefully, this list can expand your horizons though and give you something to watch to step outside of your normal comfort zone. Again, all of these shows are available to watch on Netflix. They may be available elsewhere, but I only looked into this one platform. Anyway, I hope you enjoyed reading why I like these shows, and I hope it encourages you to look into them if you have not already! Thank you for reading my article! 

I enjoy spending time with my boyfriend as well as my friends and family. I have a cat names Max. My favorite hobby is going shopping.