This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

This may be unbelievable considering the recent heat wave, but fall is just around the corner. That means color-changing leaves, cozy sweaters, hot tea and movie nights are upon us. I made a little list of movies and shows that just scream fall, whether they be classics or ones you might not have seen yet. Keep reading for my personal recommendations!

Movies:

1. You’ve Got Mail: My roommate and I both just watched this for the first time and fell in love with it. First of all: a romance between Meg Ryan and Tom Hanks. What more could you ask for? Second, they play two bookstore owners in New York City (enemies to lovers) — need I say more? It is the sweetest love story but be prepared for the longest slow-burn ever. 
  2. Twilight: I’m sure almost everyone has heard of this movie series. But if not, the plot involves vampires, werewolves and a love triangle. It is set in Washington, so the vibes are rainy and a little spooky. 
  3. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone: This is a classic fall movie for me. Halloween and Thanksgiving at Hogwarts just seem like a dream. Also, the first couple of movies are so much happier than what is to come. 
  4. Little Women: I had to include this because Little Women is my all-time favorite book. In my opinion, all the adaptations are incredible, but I am a huge Timothee Chalamet and Florence Pugh fan, so the most recent has my heart. 
  5. Hocus Pocus: I know it is a bit earlier to jump into Halloween, but I wanted to share my favorite spooky classic. Hocus Pocus is about three evil witches trying to become immortal. It seems scary by that explanation, but it’s really not. If you’ve never seen this movie, definitely put it on your watchlist for October.

Honorable mentions: Good Will Hunting, Halloweentown, Corpse Bride, Ghostbusters and When Harry Met Sally 

Shows:

1. The Vampire Diaries: I clearly have a thing for vampires, werewolves and love triangles. The Vampire Diaries is such a good show to rewatch or watch for the first time during the fall. It can be a little scary so be advised. 
  2. Gilmore Girls: I, of course, had to put Gilmore Girls on my autumn watchlist. I literally try to embody Rory Gilmore while studying for my exams. This is set in Stars Hollow, Connecticut, so it has those New England fall vibes. Rory and her mom Lorelai are me during the fall: drinking way too much coffee, having fun movie nights and studying like there is no tomorrow. 
  3. Anne with an E: This Netflix show details a young girl’s life after moving to Prince Edward Island to live with a brother and sister. It is bittersweet and pretty sad at moments but has some incredible messages about girlhood and growing up. This is one that I am guessing not many have seen, so you should definitely give it a try this season!

I can not wait for everyone to give these a try in the upcoming weeks as we prepare for cooler weather and spooky season!

Kate is a junior occupational therapy student at UNH. She loves books, oat milk lattes, and movie nights!