Ask Her More at the Oscars

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

The buzz after this year’s Academy Awards is all about the push for gender equality that was supported by both actors and actresses. On the morning of the Oscars, the women of Hollywood joined in the movement to show they were done with the inequality of red carpet questions. 

The “Ask Her More” campaign was started by a group called The Representation Project. Its goal is get reporters to ask not just about what the actresses are wearing, but to ask them more serious questions. The campaign quickly gained the support of Amy Poehler’s Smart Girls, a website dedicated to inspiring young women to be themselves. Reese Witherspoon lit the flame when she posted this picture in support of the campaign:

Witherspoon’s support for the initiative continued throughout the night.

Julianne Moore spoke out about Alzheimer’s.

There was also Emma Watson’s adorable thank you note to Steve Carell for wearing #HeForShe cufflinks in support the UN Ambassador’s push to encourage men to join in the fight for equal rights.

The night was full of girl power, including one of my favorite moments: the Emma Stone and Jennifer Aniston hug. I’d be totally lying if I said this wasn’t my iPhone wallpaper.

But, the most memorable moment of the night was when Patricia Arquette won an Oscar for her role in Boyhood (but you may know her as Kissing Kate Barlow in Holes). Arquette gave an empowering speech when she won Best Actress in a Supporting Role.

“It’s our time to have wage equality once and for all and equal rights for women in the United States of America,” Arquette preached.

I think Meryl Streep and J.Lo’s reactions speak for us all. 

This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!