The Art of Online Shopping

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

It’s so often that someone asks me where I purchased one of my outfits and I reply, “an online boutique,” and the person immediately follows up by saying, “Oh I could never shop online. I need to see clothes in person.” And while I understand the dilemma, I can’t help but wonder why so many feel so strongly about it. So in honor of the females who: need to try clothes on, see clothes in-person, or don’t trust themselves in purchasing items online, I’ve come up with a few tips to get you through the process.

For the dressing room fiends:

Trying on clothes before purchasing them is undoubtedly one of the many luxuries in life. However, there are many tips and tricks you can know by finding out what your best fit is without ever entering a dressing room. I know it seems like a tedious process but I mean it when I say that the sizing charts provided on websites are extremely accurate. And yes, its true we don’t all have a measuring tape sitting next to our laptop, but in most cases it isn’t necessary to measure. Compare the bust measurement to the number in your bra size. Compare the hips measurement to the number in your jeans size. Compare the length measurement to your height. If all else fails, look in your closet! You know the types of clothes you buy, and you know your average size. Chances are you are not buying some avant-garde piece of clothing that you have never seen in person.  Compare the items you desire to purchase to the items in your closet and it will not steer you wrong.

For those who need to see it to believe it:

It is true that there are many deceiving and fraudulent websites online. However, any place you shop is not going to be like that. For example, the mish mosh of clothes located on the racks in Forever 21 are seemingly impossible to sort through. By going online, they are laid out in front you by clothing type, color, and size. You can find items that you (and everyone else on campus) have never seen before. You can walk into a party and be confident that the girl sitting on the couch isn’t going to have the same dress on as you.  As far as shopping at new stores online is concerned, check out the reviews. People are brutally honest and they will tell you exactly what you need to know. Read the descriptions. Know your fabrics. And most importantly, know what you like and what you don’t like. You are guaranteed to be impressed with your purchases upon receiving them

For those who need a little extra push:     

The same stores get boring. And if you’re used to shopping in the Newington Mall then you know first hand that the choices are limited. There is an array of new and exciting designers and shops that use only the web to promote their clothing. If you want to be wearing the outfit that everyone is craving, take a chance. Below I have listed a few of my favorite lesser-known online retail outlets. Majority of my closet comes from these venders and it has never steered me wrong.

For the flashy dressers: www.NastyGal.com

For the bohemian free spirits: www.Saboskirt.com

For the country bumpkins: www.ShopBabydoll.US

For the misfits: www.dollskill.com

For the fashion extraordinares: www.unifclothing.com

For a little bit of everything: www.asos.com

These websites will not let you down with their excellent shipping and customer service techniques (and trust me, because I’m as high maintenance as they come): So go crazy. Because we all know there’s nothing like getting home from a long day of work and classes and seeing a package waiting for you filled with some new closet stuffers.

If all else fails and your purchases are your worst nightmare, most every website has a very simple and doable return policy that will cost you no money and very little effort. Happy shopping!!

Leah Wesolaski. Fashion enthusiast. Study Abroad Florence 2012. www.wildfreecouture.blogspot.com
This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!