Culture > News

An Insider’s Guide to March Madness

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

It’s that time of year, March Madness is in the air. College basketball’s biggest moment transforms players into legends and colleges into arenas of glory. It’s a place where small programs can share the spotlight with college basketball’s elite. And it all started in 1939 when the first NCAA Division I men’s basketball tournament was played. The term “March Madness” itself wasn’t originally about basketball at all. It was coined by Henry V. Porter in 1939 to describe the excitement surrounding the Illinois high school basketball tournaments. It wasn’t until 1982 that broadcaster Brent Musburger used the term during his NCAA tournament coverage, and the name stuck. Since its modest beginnings, the tournament has grown into a staple of sports culture which even captures the attention of even the most casual sports fans (like me). March Madness is a testament to basketball’s unpredictable nature.

Let’s talk about the brackets. Brackets, filled out by millions, become the center of many a conversation. The odds of crafting the perfect bracket aren’t impossible but just about. The probability is so slim that it can be compared to winning the lottery. But what exactly are these odds? Well, if you were to make random choices, the chances of picking a perfect bracket are 1 in 9.2 quintillion (that’s a 9 with 18 zeros after it). To put that in perspective, it’s like flipping a coin and getting heads 63 times in a row. But keep in mind, that’s just by making random choices. If you were to use some strategy the probabilities start to look a bit more favorable—but only slightly. With some college basketball knowledge, you might improve your odds to about 1 in 120.2 billion. Better, yet still not quite encouraging.

Overall, these brackets are more than just a gamble; they’re a ritual. The beauty of the Madness is that it’s one of the few sporting events where the impossible feels somewhat possible. But what truly captures the spirit of March Madness are the upsets and the Cinderella stories. A half-court shot at the buzzer? Sure. A 16-seed defeating the No.1 seed? Why not, it happened last year when Fairleigh Dickinson beat Purdue. Every game is do-or-die, which means every game is played with passion and intensity you’d be hard-pressed to find anywhere else. It’s not always about the brackets (mine is usually busted anyway) but about the moments of shared triumph.

As we watch the tournament unfold each year, the appeal of March Madness is clear. It’s the unscripted drama, the raw emotion of college athletes, and the pure joy found in a game of basketball played at one of the highest levels. That’s the true heart of March Madness. It’s a tournament that turns the national spotlight on college basketball and invites everyone to join in the excitement. It’s a time when legends are born, heroes are made, and history is written, one game at a time.

And may the odds be ever in your favor (or your bracket).

University of New Hampshire’24 Business Administration Major