7 Reasons Why Dating in College Doesn’t Ruin the Experience

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

As we enter the college realm, our lives undergo many changes. With these changes come certain aspects of our lives we tend to leave behind, relationships often falling under this category. The idea of not being tied down feels liberating, which adds to the satisfaction of not having to answer to anyone. Not to our parents, our old friends, and especially not to a significant other.

Being single in college seems to enhance the experience, and it’s common to believe that this stage of our lives was simply not meant for a serious relationship. However, as fun as being single can be for a while, after a few months of poor decision-making, tearful nights, and some shady characters, we may start to wonder where we went wrong and if the single life was really meant for us. The common misconception is that a boyfriend will hold us back in the prime of our youth and that nobody dates in college. However, based off of personal experience and close friends who are much better off now than they were before, I am here to bust that myth.

Here are 7 reasons why having a boyfriend won’t hold you back, but will enhance the entire college experience:

1. You never have to worry about carrying around your heavy purse anymore when you go out.

What is one of the main benefits of having a boyfriend? One word: backpack. Although originally intended for school work, college guys take their backpacks everywhere. What better place for you and your friends to store your wallet, ID, makeup and other necessities when you’re going out. And if you’re lucky, your boyfriend won’t even complain about it.

2. The “I have a boyfriend” excuse can finally become a reality.

One of the most annoying things girls have to deal with is a creepy guy who can’t take a hint. Whether it be on the weekends, in class, or at the gym, at some point you’re going to run into a guy who won’t leave you alone. When he approaches and asks for your number or “to dance”, the boyfriend excuse is usually a prime choice and the ultimate boy repellent. Because it’s so common, some guys seem skeptical of this tactic. I’ve even heard a story of a guy who had the nerve to call the girl out for lying. This is where your boyfriend definitely comes in handy, and will save you some frustration. There is just something so satisfying about being able to say “…and he’s actually standing right over there,” to top off the perfect reason for a boy to back off.

3. You have your very own diary… and he can talk too (if necessary).

People underestimate how great a boy is to vent to. I mean trust me, they’re vaults. Every now and then you will come across guys who seem to love to gossip just like we do, but for the most part, if you’re in a relationship you can trust that your secrets will stay safe with him; anything from frustrating professors to friend drama. It’s nice to know you have someone to talk to, and usually they will just sit and listen while you go on and on…like we tend to do.

4. You have someone to stay in and relax with if you don’t feel like going out one weekend.

As fun as it is to go out and meet up with all of your friends on the weekend, let’s face it, there are some night when you just aren’t feeling it. You’re probably more likely to suck it up, throw on some heels, and try to make your hair look presentable enough to go out. If you’re like me, and suffer from FOMO, there’s a slim chance you will stay in by yourself. Having a boyfriend eases this fear a little more by giving you some company on your night in. Now you have the place to yourself to order takeout, watch romantic comedies and stay warm. It’s like a mini-date!

5. And if you want to go out, you can have a blast together.

Going out single and meeting up with a bunch of your friends is a great experience, and this is a big reason why people love to be single in this time of our lives. However, going out with your boyfriend can be some of the best nights of your life. You have someone to breakout all your nerdy dance moves with, and won’t judge you for it. If you hangout with the same group of people, that makes it all the more fun and neither of you have to give up being able to see your friends. An important part of this is that just because you go out together doesn’t mean you have to be inseparable the entire night. There is nothing better than being able to do your own thing and see your own friends, but also be able to look across the room and see the guy you’re dating.

6. You have someone to take classes and study with.

There are so many great aspects to taking a class with the person you’re dating. If it’s possible, sharing a book, or even sharing notes if one of you can’t make it to class one day makes things cheap and convenient. Another major perk is being able to study together, because wanting to see each other succeed will create a lot of motivation for both of you. Also, if you’re anything like me and have a bad habit of forgetting about homework, especially if it’s online, you have someone to remind you to get it done.

7. You have your best friend by your side through the craziest time of your life.

College is a life changing experience, in the best way possible and at times the worst. Every now and then you’re going to have a bad day, you’re going to get a bad grade on a test or get into a huge fight with your roommate. Whatever the case may be, it’s comforting to know you have someone to talk to, someone to brighten your day. It’s great to have someone by your side to celebrate the good times and to sympathize with during the bad. Dating someone who goes to the same school as you makes you so close, you will see them at random points every day, and before you know it he will have become your best friend. You’re going through this experience together. He will probably know everything about you, just because of all of the time shared. You will become so close that your relationship won’t be based solely off of impressing each other and going on dates, but sharing every adventure and experience together; he becomes your partner in crime, your study buddy, your shoulder to cry on, and your favorite person.

This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!