7 Helpful Tips for Girls with Low Self-Esteem

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

Low self-esteem is something many girls deal with everyday, including myself. It’s extremely important to remain confident throughout every aspect of your life, because it will create many opportunities for you. Take these tips to heart and you will feel better about yourself!

1. Love yourself.

The idea of “loving yourself” may sound silly, but it is the most important thing to do. It is impossible for someone to love you if you don’t love yourself, and that applies not only to significant others but friends as well. It’s important when building relationships to have a good foundation, so you can give your love to them without losing yourself.

2. Stand tall!

Standing up straight seems like an obvious reflex, but it really isn’t. My mom always said, “Stand up tall so people can’t look down on you,” and it’s true. Walking tall with confidence gives off a completely different vibe than being hunched over staring at the ground. Standing up straight will make you feel better. If you are proud to be who you are, people will be proud to be around you.

3. Gym time

Going to gym is important because exercise releases endorphins. Don’t worry about being judged or feel intimidated, everyone is just there to better themselves. If you think people are staring at you, I promise they aren’t and it’s all in your head. Working out will make you feel better about yourself and your body, but if the gym isn’t for you that’s okay too.

4. Positivity is key

It’s okay to not love everything about your body, but try your absolute best to stay positive. Positivity spreads like wildfire, and people want to be around others that have a good outlook on life and themselves. Your friends probably don’t even notice the things you don’t like about yourself, so try and act confident, even if you might not be.

5. Smile more

Smiling will make you more approachable and could greatly improve your mood. Smiling more often can avoid the RBF (resting b**** face), which is good because you don’t want to be known for that. Your smile will exude confidence and happiness.

6. Eat chocolate!

7. Stand by your morals

It’s important to know who you are and stick to your morals. You will feel better about yourself, even if it does not go with the social norms. Keep consistency and remain confident in what you believe in, and you will gain the respect you deserve from others.

Being a good person and having a kind heart is so much more important than being seen as physically attractive. Make sure your personal self-confidence is controlled by you and you only. Don’t let it depend on acceptance from others.  It’s totally okay to not be 100% confident every day, as long as you know deep down you are a kind person and deserve all the love in the world.

This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!