6 Ways to Dress The Way YOU Want to on Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

We’ve all heard (and probably even used) the excuse… “I dress so much cuter on a trip to the city or a night out than I do on campus every day.” Why play it safe and act like school territory is reserved for cookie-cutter style? Here are some tips to wearing the coolest trends on campus with confidence.

1. Dress like nobody’s looking.
     OK, it may sound totally cliche, but it’s a serious resolution that everyone should make for themselves. Who cares if someone might be judging you. Chances are, if people are looking at your outfit, they probably think it’s super cute and they envy how bold and brave you are. Rocking celeb-status style or even just incorporating a statement piece into your daily wardrobe exudes an illuminating confidence that a passersby will definitely notice. So stop looking like a carbon copy of every college girl and start looking like the true fashionista that you are behind closed doors. 

2. Get inspired by style icons.
    Find someone or something that inspires your fashion creativity. Personally, I’m obsessed with Rachel Zoe. She inspires me to think a little longer about what types of clothes, accessories and shoes I’m going to present myself in each day. Find your Rachel Zoe.

3. Dress like you want to be viewed, not just seen.
    As much as we try to deny it, we live in a world that thrives on physical appearance and first impressions. But without that reality, this multi-billion dollar fashion industry would not exist as we know it. So, while dressing like Anne Hathaway pre-makeover in the Devil Wears Prada might make you look… serious… it definitely doesn’t scream “I’m dressing for success.” A wise professor once told me that he tells his students, “Treat college like it’s your first job.” Granted, he was referring to academic commitment, his words inspired me to think the same about style. Look good, feel good and it’s remarkable how well people will respond to that. So whether dressing just for class, coffee with a friend, or an interview with the Dean of Paul College, dress for success.

4. Dress for function but don’t forget the fashion.
    OK ladies, workout clothes are definitely functional with the sneaks and the spandex and all… but unless your commute to class involves the possibility of being chased by a cheetah, it’s too much function and not enough style. At the same time, Louboutin pumps probably won’t fare too well on UNH’s lovely cracked sidewalks and cobblestone courtyards. Strike a balance with some on-trend flats, sandals or even a wedge with a wide-leg pant or a chunky heel to look enviably stylish and smart. On days when you only have one class go to class stylish and chic and then slip back into those yogas when slumping around your apartment all day.

6. Your body is a blank canvas. Mix, match, design, innovate.
    Last but certainly not least, unleash your creativity. Consider your body a blank canvas that you are free to design any way you want. And don’t limit yourself to one “type” of style. Change it up if you want: Ralph Lauren one day, AllSaints the next, Haute Hippie the third. Come up with new styles, combine trends. Who cares if it flops? Play with colors, textures and proportions to create an ultra-chic street style that compliments you.  

Most of all, remember: just because we live in New Hampshire doesn’t mean we can’t look like it’s NYC.

(photos via Atlantic-Pacific

Senior journalism major with a psychology minor at the University of New Hampshire. Aspiring sports broadcaster, editorial writer, design editor, content editor, sports writer, New Hampshire Public Television production intern, multimedia journalist, social media connoisseur. Follow me on Twitter: @RossHeatherton.
This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!