medical supplies
medical supplies
Original Illustration by Gina Escandon for Her Campus Media

6 Things to do While Social Distancing

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

I have been home from school, practicing social distancing for 2 and half weeks now, and I have come up with some really fun ways to kill time that I would like to share!

The first thing, and probably most obvious thing to do is binge watch some great shows or movies on Netflix or Hulu. I did this a lot at the beginning of break and got through some really good shows that I highly recommend. These include:

• Tiger King (Netflix) 
  • The Trials of Gabriel Fernandez (Netflix)
  • Love is Blind (Netflix)
  • Amy (Netflix)
  • How to Get Away with Murder (Netflix)
  • The Dirt (Netflix)
  • Narcos (Netflix)
  • Paradise PD (Netflix)
  • Black Mirror (Netflix)
  • Ozark (Netflix)
  • Shameless (Netflix)
  • American Horror Story (Netflix)
  • The Walking Dead (Netflix)
  • The Sinner (Netflix)
  • Intervention (Hulu)
  • The Handmaid’s Tale (Hulu)
  • Letterkenny (Hulu)
  • The Hills (Hulu)
  • The Mick (Hulu) 
  • Awkward (Hulu)
  • Desperate Housewives (Hulu)

Now this is a very long list so hopefully there is something on this list you haven’t watched and will end up loving. (My favorites are Tiger King, Handmaid’s Tale, and Black Mirror!)

The next thing you can try is cooking/baking. I have found so many new and fun recipes that I have been making for my mom. I have not only gotten better at cooking, but also started to really enjoy it. I have taught myself how to cook pork chops, pork loin, chicken thighs, homemade pasta (highly recommend, it’s delicious), steak, and so many other dishes. I definitely surprised myself and have a newfound love for cooking!

Another fun activity is painting! I am the least artistic person ever, yet I find painting so much fun! I got a bunch of canvases and acrylic paints (I spent about $50 but that’s because I wanted a lot of canvases and tons of color options). I start by finding an easy-ish picture that I can sketch on the canvas from Pinterest, and then paint over it. It is a really soothing activity and it takes up a huge portion of your day which is great when you have nothing else to do!

I have also started doing workout challenges. I found a website that had a really cool at home/no equipment 14-day workout challenge that I have been doing that had been really great. The website is Blogilates, and the workout challenge can be found here as well as so many other posts. 

I have also added yoga into my daily routines which has helped me a lot. Personally, I get extremely anxious when I listen to the news for too long or read about the current pandemic too much and yoga has helped me a lot. YouTube has a ton of different flows depending on what you want to accomplish. This is helped my breathing and overall anxiety levels, so if you relate to these feelings, I highly recommend!

Lastly, I got a PlayStation 4 which has proved to be well worth it and so much fun. I am not huge into video games, but I thought this would be a cool new way to pass some time and I was right. There are so many different games you can get and worlds to explore that it’s almost impossible to get bored (and also super addicting!!). Another great thing about the PS4 is that it works as a smart TV too. I can watch all my shows on the big screen, which I have never been able to do before and it makes such a difference!

I hope after reading this you have found at least one thing to do to keep you busy during this difficult time. Wishing everyone a safe and healthy social distancing period!

I'm a Finance major who loves dogs and hanging out with friends!
This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!