5 Ways To Pamper Yourself (For Cheap)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

So, you have the day off, now what? It’s the middle of the week so the possibilities are endless. So what do you do with a full 24 hours of potential down-time? I know it’s easy to sleep in an extra hour and stay in your comfy pajama pants while you catch up on your favorite shows on Netflix. Maybe you’re the ambitious type who dreams of getting everything that you’ve pinned on Pinterest for these kinds of occasions, but the time seems to disappear and you never do anything productive. There’s an easy way to lounge the day away, all while doing a couple simple things to pamper hard-working butt. Here are five great things that require minimal effort and won’t keep you away from a lazy day off!

1. Give yourself a facial! I’m not talking about those single-use packs on the stands in the beauty isle! You’ll be surprise how easy it is to make your own facial with food hanging around in your own kitchen. Mix half an avocado and a tablespoon of honey and paste it on for 15-20 minutes for a gorgeous glow! Or, try a chocolate anti-oxidant boosting face mask. Use equal parts cocoa powder and honey (about a half a cup) and add 2-3 tablespoons of oatmeal and cream. Mix those ingredients and let sit for five minutes or so. Leave it on for 15 minutes and try your hardest not to lick it!

2. Some love for your hair. A ton of research lately has been pointing to the benefits of coconut oil. It’s anti-inflammatory, anti-fungal and it does wonders for your hair! Whether you want to grow luscious and healthy hair, or you’re really ready to get rid of those stubborn split ends, coconut oil is your answer. You want to buy coconut oil (virgin and unrefined) and it will be in a semi solid state. Most grocery stores will carry it in the specialty foods section. After you’ve gotten your hair wet in the shower, take a small handful and run it through your hair, starting at the scalp and working through the ends. Use a hair clip or shower cap and avoid getting your hair wet while you finish out your shower activities. After 15 minutes, wash the coconut oil out wash your hair as normal. When you get out your hair will be soft and smell amazing!

3. There’s nothing a mani/pedi can’t fix. Every girl loves to feel like they’ve been pampered and what better way to do that than make a spa in your very own bathroom. Give yourself a mini mani-pedi while you can! We all know it’s nearly impossible to balance school, work, family on top of figuring out when to get your acrylics refilled. Avoid that stress by preparing a big kitchen bowl with warm soapy water. Soak your feet and hands (separately of course) and finish them with your favorite lotion. Soaking the nails with make them easier to trim, cut, and file once you’ve picked your favorite nail polish!

4. Bronze that bod. Even in the dead of winter, it’s nice to feel like you’ve still maintained a summer glow. If you’re getting ready for Spring Break and are too afraid to hit the tanning beds, then give some self- tanner a try. You want to use it right after you get out of the shower, to ensure that it settles in the right way. Use a product that best suits your skin tone; the lighter you are, the more orange you’ll look if you pick one that’s too dark for your skin tone! Basically, you want to be alone letting the lotion soak in for up to an hour because you don’t want the lotion to streak and get on your clothes!

5. Order Out. Last, but certainly not least, what’s a better way to spoil yourself than ordering out? You don’t have to spend a fortune or buy a giant pizza that will take you a week to eat, but treat yourself for crying out loud! You deserve it! Find your favorite restaurant and indulge, go ahead, we won’t tell your diet!