5 Tips for Studying Abroad!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

To study abroad or not? That is a question a lot of students ask themselves. I know I have gone back and forth with this question myself. Studying abroad is an amazing opportunity and if you want to do it I think you definitely should. When you’ve decided that going abroad is right for you it’s time to get started on planning your trip! Here are a few things you should do to start your dream trip.

1. First you should get in touch with the Center of International Affairs. They’re super helpful and have a ton of different programs to chose from. There’s a list of UNH approved and UNH managed programs, as well as opportunities to look into other programs that don’t go through UNH. 

2. Now that you’re all excited to start planning, you need to consider the classes you will be taking abroad. Some majors have an easier time studying abroad than others because their classes are offered in other countries. If you happen to be in a major that doesn’t have a lot of classes offered abroad don’t worry, there’s still a chance for you! A lot of study abroad classes will count towards the Discovery Program. Just going abroad counts as the World Culture requirement! Your academic advisor is a very helpful person to talk to because they can point you in the right direction of a program that will work well with your major.

3. After thinking about your schedule and choosing your program it’s time to apply! You can online to the UNH Center of International Affairs website and find your program. There should be instructions on how to apply which will give you deadlines and all kinds of information about what your next steps will be.

4. Once you’re accepted to the program of your dreams is when the expensive part sets in. I would recommend that you start saving money as soon as possible! You’re going to want to travel and shop while you’re abroad, besides a little extra money never hurt!

5. Finally, have fun! Make the most of your experience while you’re abroad. Make new friends and try new things. This is going to be the best time of your life, don’t let anything hold you back!

This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!