This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

5 Tips on How to Love Yourself

We’ve all been through that time when we may not like what we see in the mirror. It’s human nature to get upset with yourself. To doubt and to question are not abnormal; however, that cannot be how we choose to live our lives. Self-respect, self-confidence and self-esteem should never be neglected. Here are my five tips on how to love yourself and be happy with who you are:

Praise Yourself 

I’m not saying you have to stand in a mirror and give yourself compliments but don’t be afraid to tell yourself “good job” or “I look good.” It’s okay to be confident. It’s okay to think you look good. More than that you should think that. Don’t wait for others to constantly praise yourself. You should be proud of yourself. 

What Other People Think of You Is Not Your Problem:

You cannot control what other people think. No one is going to be liked by everyone. You simply cannot avoid judgment. So here’s a tip for next time you can’t stop thinking about what the person next to you is thinking: what they think is not your problem. If you like you and you are proud of who you are, then what other people think is none of your concern. 

Do What Makes You Happy:

Let’s be honest, every single one of us is swamped in a pile of homework, grad school applications or job applications but don’t neglect the things that make you feel happy to be alive. What do you do for fun? Whatever it is don’t ever forget to make time for it. Just because it isn’t work doesn’t mean it isn’t important (even if it’s just watching Netflix). Let yourself do what makes you happy.

It’s Okay To Be Alone:

Let yourself be okay spending time alone. In a world where everyone is connected it is even more important to be okay being alone. Whether you need to accept being single or simply just being alone in your apartment this is such an important step in loving yourself. Without being able to be by yourself how do you begin to love yourself?

Be Kind:

We all have a tendency to treat others better than we treat ourselves. We are all taught to be kind as children but not to ourselves. As important as it is to be kind to others you need to be kind to yourself. It is how you begin to forgive and to love who you are. 

At the end of the day, you are who you want to be. If you can’t begin to love yourself, you’re going to miss out in so much of the beauty of life. It’s important to remember you are human and you should be your own best friend!

This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!