This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

As we approach finals week, graduation, and moving out of the place we have called home for x number of years, we look back on the time we spent in school and just how far we have come. Over the years I have tested many theories on studying techniques. I then either debunked or added to my studying routine to help me in preparing better for final exams and midterms. As a student with a learning disability, finding out what worked for me was key to progressing. As we all begin or continue studying for finals, here are a few of my favorite tips I have collected over the years.

Hope They Help!

1. Take breaks.

Make sure you remember to get your head out of the books every once in a while. Stand up, stretch your legs and arms, go for a walk. Our brains need a reset every once in a while. Even if it just a lap around the room you may be studying or a walk to the kitchen to get water. Just like any muscle, your brain needs a break from the work it’s doing to regroup.

1. Utilize multiple mini sessions instead of cramming before the exam.

Trying to cram a ton of information into one or two study sessions right before the exam is not beneficial for anyone. Instead of procrastinating try to do multiple smaller study sessions in order to give you more time to absorb the material and feel less stress to remember a semester worth of information.

1. Get exercise.

When you are always in study mode, your body can be easily overwhelmed by the influx of information you are trying to remember. Many people even develop anxious feelings during this stressful time period, to avoid this try working out before your study sessions, exercise releases endorphins into your brain and body that make you feel happier and more relaxed. This is also beneficial because you are getting your entire body engaged and that also can make it easier to focus.

1. Silence is not key.

Don’t get me wrong some people love to work in silence and can do their best work in that scenario however at least for myself I am not one of those individuals. I utilize listening to music during my study sessions, specifically music with no vocals to not get caught up in focusing on the lyrics. Tip: Spotify has a lot of great study playlists ranging from instrumentals – a specific playlist that utilizes bpm that promote memory retention. Check them out!

1. Use a variety of study methods.

Just staring page after page blankly at the same information in the same form won’t help you retain it you need to be challenging your brain. Tools like Quizlet allow you to input your information and then utilize multiple studying techniques for FREE! Using different techniques changes things up

UNH'20 Fitness Addict Instagram: @margauxmunickfit @mmunick1
This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!