5 Things No One Tells You About College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

As a sophomore at the University of New Hampshire, I’ve learned a few things about college that didn’t have anything to do with my major. Two years ago, when I received my acceptance letters and decided where I was going to go to school, it seemed like everyone had something to say about college. My parents, siblings, friends, friend’s parents, stranger in line at the grocery store, and everyone in between had some advice, story, or comment they felt they needed to tell me. As an eager perspective student, I ate all of these comments up. Going into college I felt like I had a pretty good idea of what it was going to be like, and sis, I was WRONG. To help any perspective students out there, or maybe current students who can relate to this, here is a list of things I wish I knew before I went to college. 

1. The first people you meet are probably not going to be your best friends for life. 

Before I got to school it seems like all I heard was how “you’re going to meet your bridesmaids” and “my roommate was my best friend,” or “all of my best friends are from college.” While these statements may reign true for some (and good for them!) others run into some bumps in the road. Transitioning from your hometown girl gang to a trial-and-error in the friend making department is a challeng, especially in a totally new environment. This is a normal part of life. You are not meant to click with everyone right away. Good friends take time to make–be patient and trust the process. Be kind and keep your head up!

2. You might not meet your future husband or wife 

Listening to so many of my friends’ parents say they met in college leaves many students ready to meet “the one.” Here is a friendly reminder that you are only 18. Not every relationship is going to end with a ring, girly! You have to kiss a few frogs (a lot actually) to meet that special someone. Warning: Chad from Sigma Delta Whatever is probably not your knight-in-shining-armor (and that’s okay, it’s a learning process)!

3. College is not one Giant Party

While this statement can be partially true for those who may choose to party, there are going to be many other long nights. Staying at the library until close, pulling an all-nighter to finish that huge paper, crying over an exam…it will all happen. The good thing to remember is that those are the nights that become blurrier. The fun memories are the ones that stick out when you look back and reflect!

4. Walking to class is hard

This one is trivial and may not be applicable to those down south. However, I never gave a second thought to walking to class (and quite frankly, anywhere) when I was still living at home. In my hometown, I was lucky enough to drive everywhere. When I got to school I didn’t realize how terrible walking 15 minutes in the pouring rain or 10 degree weather really was. Bring your walking shoes and you will make it through!

5. You might not be involved in all the activities you thought you would be on campus

If you are anything like me, you probably researched the clubs and teams that exist on your campus before you got there. If you did not do that, your university probably has a day for all the clubs to be out on the lawn and recruit new members. After this, you might be set on being on a certain team, joining a particular sorority, or loving another club. Although you may get into all of these things and love them, things happen. You mess up the audition, you get dropped from that sorority, you don’t actually love that cool club you thought you would. This is all okay! There are other teams, sororities and clubs out there. Not being a part of things I thought I would has forced me to try new ones and has introduced me to some amazing people. Things happen for a reason, trust the process. 

Disclaimer: These are based off of my experience and are meant in a light-hearted way.  College is what you make of it, so live it up!

UNH 2021
This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!