The 5 Guys You’ll Meet at UNH

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

Mr. Nice Guy:
The Mr. Nice Guy type is that whom wears Ralph Lauren Polo’s and clean cut sparees on his feet. Such a “fresh” and proper appearance often indicates that this boy came from a nice upbringing, and thus knows how to properly treat a woman. For the most part, this is the type of guy that will get to know you for the sake of wanting a relationship rather than just a hook up. This is the type of guy who will ask you to dinner rather than just to meet up on a Saturday night. The Mr. Nice Guy type undoubtedly knows how to treat a girl, but you will find your occasional clean cut men who let their money get to their heads and thus come off quite pompous. Regardless, Mr. Nice Guy is the type that you should keep around, whether for boyfriend material or just a friendship, because he was most likely raised with solid ethics and therefore knows how to treat others with respect and kindness.

[pagebreak]

Mr. Meathead:
Although this completely conforms to stereotypical judgment, I have come to find that the common “frat boy” at UNH is a prime example of Mr. Meathead. Granted, every frat has an immense number of wonderful young men who have good character and a caring heart…unfortunately however,  there are a handful of guys who have promoted the “frat bro” image to its fullest capability. This is the type of guy who walks around in a wife beater and Nike shorts solely in an effort to show off his “big guns.” His presence can be detected miles away as he strolls down Main Street with his chest puffed out and his chin tilted up 10 degrees higher than everyone else. He refuses to commit to a relationship because he’d rather juggle multiple different sorority girls at once in the hopes that they’ll eventually find out and find even further reason to feud between chapters. This is the type of guy who shows up to class late because heaven forbid his academic career gets in the way of his social life; the type of guy who is in college to “live up” the golden years to their fullest potential. Fortunately, I have also come to find that deep down—these meatheads are genuinely good people and have just succumbed to such a level because it gives them a sense of pride and entitlement around campus. To all of you meatheads out there, word of advice…girls would rather have an intellectual conversation with you then stare at your big guns.

[pagebreak]
Mr. Thug:
This is the type of guy who thinks he was born wearing a flat rimmed hat. It is no mystery that this phatfarm look as become a fad in our generation, but a boy needs to know when it’s appropriate to rep such a style. From the outsider looking in, it is absolutely hilarious when certain boys walk around reppin’ this “thug” image as if they’ve lived some hard life in the ghettos when really they’re attending a University in a middle to upper-class society…The style of Mr. Thug isn’t even the biggest issue at hand, it’s the lingo. I have met more boys than I can count lately that find it amusing to use slang in every way possible. Instead of simply saying “do you know what I mean?” these boys then convert the English language to “ya know what im sayin’ doe, f’realz?” It’s one thing if your heritage gives you the right to dress, talk and act like a thug…but if you’re simply just a middle class Caucasian walking around pretending you’re something you’re not, maybe it’s time you get a new image. Nevertheless, Mr. Thug is definitely a character you will come across in college because for some reason or another these boys find it comforting to hide behind layers of baggy clothing and lingo that could rarely be found in the English dictionary.
[pagebreak]

Mr. Granola:
This is the type of guy that rocks those Vibram Fivefingers barefoot shoes in combination with skinny jeans and a drag rag. Upon interacting with Mr. Granola you will become very intrigued by their overall character because they usually have much more to offer than what meets the eye. These are the type of guys that are interested in what’s really important in life. They are attracted to girls not by the makeup on their faces, but by the thoughts in their mind. They usually have some type of major that relates to saving the earth, such as environmental engineering or energy conservation.  These are the type of guys that you would never see out and about at a frat, but rather jamming on the guitar in their apartment with friends. The Mr. Granola type really doesn’t get as much hype as it deserves…these guys are down to earth, intellectual individuals who care about more than what meets the eye.

[pagebreak]

Mr. Bookworm
This is the type of guy that everyone plays off to be that “anti-social” or “socially awkward” kid in class who doesn’t know how to talk to girls. What I have come to find, however, is that these types can completely contradict their stereotype. These are the guys that are more than willing to help you in class. These are the type of guys who always answer the teacher even when no one else has any idea what’s going on. Most importantly, these are the type of guys who are undoubtedly nice to you every time you make contact with them. For some reason or another, society has made it acceptable to shun those individuals who care more about their academic lives than their social lives. However, take it from me…you should go out of your way to meet these type of guys. These are the type of guys you want to get to know and form solid friendships with, because they are the type of guys who genuinely care about their relationships with others. Furthermore, I have often come to find that upon getting to know a Mr. Bookworm type, these boys usually blossom from bookworm to friggin’ hot butterfly! In other words, once you unveil what’s beyond the surface their nerdy side actually becomes quite adorable. 

photos: 
www.malemodelscene.net
www.weheartit.com
www.blogs.browardpalmbeach.com

New Jersey native, Stephanie, is a junior in the Whittemore School of Business and Economics at the University of New Hampshire. She is majoring in Business Administration with a dual concentration in Marketing and International Business & Economics. She loves the city and lived there last summer while interning for Ann Taylor. Stephanie loves sushi and Starbucks lattes. She is also a proud member of Alpha Phi and currently serves as the Treasurer on the Panhellenic Council.