4 Ways To Use Post Spring Break Motivation To Your Advantage

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

After you spend the week on the beaches in Florida, or maybe at home on your couch binge watching Netflix, it can be hard to get motivated and get back in the school groove. Whether you had a productive spring break or not, it is important to go back to school refreshed and ready to end the semester strong. Even though break is over, it isn’t too late to start doing the following constructive things. You don’t want to be stuck inside while everyone else is enjoying the fresh spring air, so get these done sooner rather than later!   

1. Update your resume. If you haven’t created a resume yet, or at least have one drafted, start with that. Next, pick up where you left off and make a list of everything you have done since you last updated it. Employers will only look at your resume for less than a minute, so you have to make the most of their time. Bullet your points and use solid verbs to make yourself stand out. Also, make an appointment at the career center to go over your latest edits. They also have walk in resume review hours Monday through Thursday from 12 to 2 pm in Hood House.

2. Start thinking about grad school and the GRE’s. Whether we like it or not, it may be that time to think about if grad school is in our future. If it is, it is also time to look at different programs and which tests they require. Run over to Barnes and Noble and invest in a GRE or GMAT book to start studying. Many of them also come with practice tests, which are very handy!

3. Look for summer jobs and internships. Start thinking about your major and field of study. Where could you see yourself working? What could you see yourself doing? Look for companies in your area to see if they have any job opportunities or even internships available. The summer is a great time to look into an internship because classes or other college commitments won’t be distracting you. Employers look for experience in job candidates these days and it would also be a great resume builder.

4. Read one of the books on your shelf that is gathering dust. Use the refreshed feeling that you came back with after break to carve out time in your day to read for pleasure. During the semester we get so caught up in doing readings for academic classes, that we forget to take the time and read a book for ourselves!

While you may have done “nothing” over spring break, doing “something” is just as good of an idea when you come back! Take advantage of the fresh start, clean slate feeling that it gave you. Fix up that resume and read up on grad school programs that you might be interested in. Look up summer internships that would allow you to gain work skills and experience. The great thing about spring break is that you can take the time to breathe. Now that you are feeling more at peace and relaxed, do all of these things before the weather gets too nice; do them before you find yourself cramming last minute, and missing out on a fun spring weekend with friends. Thinking ahead of time and being productive will benefit you in the long run! 

This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!